Winter TT its great "Just Do It"

Dart 15 Chat
Steve Sawford
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Winter TT its great "Just Do It"

Post by Steve Sawford »

Hi All
I am planning to race all the winter events, as they are one day events it works well with work,family and running. :P
I highly reccomend it to all as it keeps the boat free from cobwebs and keeps the racing sharp for 08.It must have helped me in the nationals or I must have got very lucky this year.
Its great to see Carsington in this year and look forward to the odd sprint or two.

Question. Bob
Can we mix unirig and sprinting between the events ?

:oops: Sorry I can`t make the Carsington TT this weekend as we have a family wedding down in Devon, But I plan to be at Grafham cat open.
See You there
Steve :D
Sailing and racing Dart 15`s for 23 years ,
What a fantastic boat . 1733 Tigershark owned her for 22yrs What a gal
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

And there layeth the gauntlet !!
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Winter TT its great "Just Do It"

Post by Bob Carter »

Steve Sawford wrote:
Question. Bob
Can we mix unirig and sprinting between the events ?

:D
Hi Steve,
Yes the Winter Series is done on PY handicap basis - you can alternate or vary which format you sail but they all count towards the same series.

In the Summer TT Series we do it both ways. The Prizes are based on handicap positions but we have perpetual trophies for overall (PY), Sport mode and Standard mode - each is based on the best 3 results (at present).

regards
Bob

PS If it worked, thanks go to Robert for telling me how to edit the quote.
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Quotes and <snips>

Post by Robert »

8)
Robert England
Steve Sawford

Post by Steve Sawford »

winter racing:lol: :lol: :lol: Come and have a go if you think your hard enough.

when the pressure is too much capsize and through it all away :roll: :twisted:

Charles ,
I accept the dule. (two wet sailing gloves across the face) :)
Sailing and racing Dart 15`s for 23 years ,
What a fantastic boat . 1733 Tigershark owned her for 22yrs What a gal
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

The Duel

Post by Robert »

And so it begins :shock: I would like to see this!
Robert England
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Winter sailing

Post by Kevin Parvin »

I was a bit soft during the Nationals and used my dry suit, only to find that the rubber socks had perished, result ... wet pants. So I rang up and ordered a new pair (of socks not pants) to attempt a repair.... However I didn't know you could order ankles or socks for a dry suit......and I got the ankles.

Qustion..... Why would you want to wear a dry suit and have freezing cold feet ???

Is having a go at replacing the rubber socks worth it ?? Much cheaper than a new suit..

Kevin 1615
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Kevin
My advice is to go for feet, not ankles for pretty much the reason that you give (wet feet in mid winter are no fun). Before you get too far look at the neck & wrists as all the rubber bits will be the same age. It can be tricky fitting the new bits without a crease/leak & for that reason I usually give the suit to the chandler to repair. It doubles the cost but you get a good job.
Regards
Bob
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Replacing limbs on dry suits!

Post by Steve Willis »

Yes go for socks not ankles.

I have done three sets on our suits over eight years and it is not rocket science. I was told to leave about 1 inch of the old seal on if it is still well bonded and to glue the new one to that - that way you don't pull the fabric off the suit. It it is not bonded then you have to carefully remove the old seal. It is normally bonded to a taped area and you should remove the seal from the taped area not the fabric - I use a craft knife blade and edge it off carefully. Then sandpaper the old glued tape area and the new seal before gluing - I wash it with white spirit after sanding and let that dry. You sometimes get a 'special' glue with the seals and I was once tolds to use 'leather glue' but Evostiik works well.

I use a plastic container wrapped with tape to hold the aperture open tight - i.e. find something that will just go into the opening with the suit turned inside out. If you leave the end of the container sticking out a bit you can pull the sock onto that and line it all up nicely - that way you stop the wrinkling. Then pull the new ankle up and fold it back about 1" to apply glue to both surfaces, when the glue is dry you then slowly fold the ankle back onto the suit tape all round pushing the air out. Leave the container in for 12 hours or so so that you keep pressure while the glue fully hardens.

Sounds silly but do check you get the feet the right way round ( I did do one the wrong way the first time!!!?- you will be working with the suit inside out.

Steve W
Dean
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Drysuit Glue

Post by Dean »

Bostick's glue for rubber dinghy's work a treat.
Speed Sails sell it in with their drysuit stuff. Just done a 2" part of my neck seal that had come adrift, which has taught me to be a bit more careful when pulling it over my noggin, and not give a hoot while the others all laugh at my efforts as I stagger and fall across the changing room!
Double Trouble - 1784
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Dry suit

Post by Kevin Parvin »

The sock repair kit from 'Sailboats', contains the leather glue, sandpaper, brush and good instructions, they suggest finding a paint pot to push the dry suit feet over... take your point about marking front and back on the leg. I would look a plonker having gone to all that trouble then getting the feet the wrong way round.

Sailboats gave me credit on the returned ankles.

With a repaired dry suit why not do a winter event or two ?? (last couple of winters have been very mild).

Kevin
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Good thinking Batman
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Paint Pot

Post by Steve Willis »

Yep, a paint tin or similar is what I use - but avoid a metal one with a raised rim.

I found a plastic tub (LM car grease as it happens) of the right diameter.

Steve W
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Steve

Gloves across the face, didn't hurt, I had my full face balaclava to hand & anyway I bet you whimp out if it's scraping ice off the decks time before going sailing!!

See you there!
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Come and see the fun!

Post by Robert »

:lol: Fifteen all! :lol:
Robert England