The UK Dart 15 Association

Thorpe Bay 30th anniversary nationals

Dart 15 Chat
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Thorpe Bay 30th anniversary nationals

Post by Andrew Hannah »

I fully concur with Duncan Ford's posting on the Sport nationals thread. There is quite definitely a buzz in the air at Thorpe Bay. It is a question of how many club Sprints we will have racing. Already, three members will be lending their boats, thereby swelling the number of entries.

Earlier today, Thorpe Bay Yacht Club hosted the first day of the Finn class national championship. NB the Finns recognise Thorpe Bay as being a worthy venue for a national championship: and they're an olympic class!

An endearing feature of Thorpe Bay YC is our results service. The first day's results of the Finns are already on the club website for everyone to see. How many other clubs do this?

As a venue, Thorpe Bay is quite different from Instow or The Solent, whose tides are much stronger. Moreover, the hugely experienced Phil Crawford will be our race officer, and I can assure everyone that his race management is as good as any. Come and try it for yourself. It's the best holiday you will ever have in Southend! :lol:

Don't forget you have until 14th July to take advantage of the discounted entry fee. You can download entry forms via the association website, under "events".

Andrew.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Look :lol:
See here:

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/?article=142274

But he did not post our pictures. :cry:
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Details of the Sprint nationals have been added to the TBYC website, qv.

For those who would like to know how we run a national championship, please check the club website report for the Finn nationals held last weekend. I can tell you, the Finn Association was well impressed! They immediately requested an open meeting for 2009.

The Finns were amazed they had overlooked Thorpe Bay for so long. A bit like the Sprints, really. Thankfully that has now been corrected. We have the best racing water in Essex. Come and enjoy it!
Struggling musician
Duncan Ford
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Duncan Ford »

I see under "Events" on this web that entries for the Nationals have surged over the past day or so.

In order to encourage more and make this a record attendance in the Sprint's 30th year, can I just confirm that Andrew Hannah's guitar is being kept under lock and key and will definitely NOT be making an appearance at any time during the event!!

:lol:

Duncan Ford
TBYC 1973
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Andrew hannah's guitar.

Post by Kevin Dutch »

Thats such ashame because i was looking forward to that.
Duncan Ford

Post by Duncan Ford »

Hi Kevin

I suppose we could arrange a private recital for you. I'll talk to Andrew.

Duncan Ford
TBYC 1973
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Can he do this private recital in Kent - out of earshot of all those at Thorpe Bay? I did not witness the last recital, but I have heard dispatches........... :wink:
Bob
Last edited by Bob Carter on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Andrew Hannah wrote:Details of the Sprint nationals have been added to the TBYC website, qv.

For those who would like to know how we run a national championship, please check the club website report for the Finn nationals held last weekend. I can tell you, the Finn Association was well impressed! They immediately requested an open meeting for 2009.

The Finns were amazed they had overlooked Thorpe Bay for so long. A bit like the Sprints, really. Thankfully that has now been corrected. We have the best racing water in Essex. Come and enjoy it!
I see that a Grafham Sailor (Giles Scott) won the Finn Nationals.
Duncan Ford

Post by Duncan Ford »

Hi Bob.

A private recital in Kent wouldn't be far enough - it's only 4/5 miles!

Don't worry, we are locking the guitar up and throwing the key away. It will not make an appearance!

Duncan Ford
TBYC 1973
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

I have two books of songs*. There is the white book of songs for the Grafham boys, and I have a book of blue songs for Duncan Ford!

*With apologies to the late Max Miller.
Struggling musician
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Sounds terrifying :cry:
Frank
Grub Guru
Grub Guru

Post by Frank »

The white song book it is -------- can't wait !! :wink:
Duncan Ford

Post by Duncan Ford »

Frank

Bob is right in that it is truly terrifying!

You cannot have witnessed it at the last TT held at Thorpe Bay, and I urge you not to encourage him further now.

The guitar will NOT appear!

Duncan Ford
TBYC 1973
Frank
Grub Guru
Grub Guru

Post by Frank »

Hi Duncan,
I can picture it all --------- Club bar, competitors enjoying swapping their days sailing experiences, beer flowing, several sailors slightly under the weather as they have underestimated the strength of the punch, Andrew all melancholy due to the fact that no one full recognises his entertaining skills, then as if by fate, someone (possibly a Grafham sailor) produces a rogue guitar from his trailer box and without warning passes the said instrument to AH.
Do you have a contingency plan for this scenario?
:twisted: