The UK Dart 15 Association

The Knife Game

Dart 15 Chat
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

The Knife Game

Post by Charles »

Who remembers this game that the late, great Mr Dewhirst used to play with newbies, usually after a training session?

I remember a particularly good game out on the Carsington patio where races at Grafham, complete with the Grafham Bell, wind shadows, wind shifts & fishing boats were re-enacted!

The game came out of Nick's extremely large brain on the fly, it would be good to try to recreate this now & again as a fun training tool.

To this end, can you remember the sort of things Nick would come up with so I can make a list to aid failing memories?
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Knife Game

Post by Liam »

Don't remember knives but I am very proud of the certificate that he got Seasalter to make for all the sailors that managed not to capsize in a force 8 one day.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Corky the Cat
Warrant Officer (Class One)

Post by Corky the Cat »

I remember Nick for his many expressions. At championship briefings, he would stand beside the race officer and announce that “a gentleman knows”.

Hearing this for the first time, I asked “knows what”? There were guffaws of laughter around the room, most notably from Ray Gall.

Nick would explain that a gentleman knows when he has made a mistake, eg colliding with another boat or hitting a mark. Accordingly, he would do his turns.

So if you witnessed such an incident whilst racing, you would shout “a gentleman knows”! The offending helmsman usually did his turns.
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Oh yes, a gentleman (or lady) knows. I am still constantly surprised that other classes / sailors are not as civilised.
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Corky the Cat

Post by Corky the Cat »

I also remember Nick’s performance at a nationals prize giving. He was in his element on such occasions. If someone collided with another boat, he would make sure the offending helm received a prize. Namely, a roll of duct tape.

I remember Paul Smith receiving a prize at Netley. He wasn’t very well, suffering from a tummy bug. He nevertheless persevered as an example to others. This was recognised by Nick. So Paul was awarded a special prize. It was a Mars bar.