Dart 15 for family use

Dart 15 Chat
Zoli
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Dart 15 for family use

Post by Zoli »

Hi,

I am new to catamaran sailing and I am thinking about getting a Dart 15. Could you please tell me from your experience if the Dart 15 is big enough for 4 people on board (2 adults and two youths)? Most of the time we will use it only in a couple, but occasionally I would like to take the whole family.
Thank you for your answer in advance.
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dart 15 for family use

Post by Liam »

It is big enough but it will be very, very slow and it will stress the boat. You will be constantly buying rivets for the trampoline tracks.

The answer is buy two of them.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Brian Phipps »

many thx for contacting the Dart 15 Class. The RYA dinghy show takes place next weekend at Farnborough and it would be a great opportunity to meet catamaran sailors and talk to the class. Unfortunatley youth tend to only grow bigger year on year so it may be best to plan for the future. It may not be long before the two youth are sailing the Dart 15 on their own in which case Liam may be right, you might need two of them!!
All the best and we hope to meet you at the show.
Brian P
Zoli
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Zoli »

Thank you very much for your valuable answers. Probably I will start with buying one. Then we will see how long the enthusiasm lasts in the family ;-)
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

Zoli - As mentioned, the Class will be at the RYA Dinghy Show next weekend (25th & 26th February). You would be welcome to visit us there and find out a bit more about the boat and talk to enthusiastic and knowledgeable members.
In addition - if you'd like to have a test sail on a Dart 15, that can be arranged at one of our clubs most local to you. If you PM me, let me know roughly where you're based, I'll see what I can arrange - my details are on the website under the 'Contacts' tab.
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Zoli
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Zoli »

Thank you again for the invitation. I would be very happy to visit the show, but unfortunately I am not in the UK. I will try to find some club here in Austria.
Corky the Cat
Warrant Officer (Class One)
Warrant Officer (Class One)

Post by Corky the Cat »

A combination that works very well is two youths sailing together: one helm, one crew. This can be competitive because they’d have a jib. They’d sail under the same handicap as a single adult with one sail.
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Zoli

A Dart15 is probably the best starter boat for your purposes, though not as easy to find outside the UK as other cats. They are simple and not too much sail area. Also fairly easy to right after a capsize, which if you are sailing gently very rarely happens. Prices are also very sensible for boats over 5 yrs old.
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)