The UK Dart 15 Association

Is there a reason to replace a working Trampoline?

Dart 15 Chat
Jaybear
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Is there a reason to replace a working Trampoline?

Post by Jaybear »

Hello.

This is possibly a silly question. But I'm in that sort of a mood. So here goes.

I've got my dart 15 in its component parts after covid and moving house etc. Once project move house is done project re-build my toys will start.

My boat has what i understand to be the narrow bolt rope old style tramp and hull tracks. And i see that replacing these is a common thing when the tracks give up.

If my tracks are functional and the tramp, while not in the first flush of youth, seems functional. Is it worth forking out for the track and new tramp while i'm in the boat mending mood? Or should i just wait until the track fails, or the tramp wears out?

Is there a benefit to doing the work other than, the wide track is the only replacement for what's already there when it breaks.

Many thanks.

Jamie.
Jamie.
Dart 15 1902. No fixed abode
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Is there a reason to replace a working Trampoline?

Post by Jenny Ball »

Hi Jamie

In my opinion, if the tramp and the tracks are fine then there is no need to replace them. Many of us moved to the new tracks because our original tramps got to the point of needing to be replaced. As you say, with the wider bolt ropes on the new tramps, that required the tramp tracks to be replaced too.

A tight tramp is important to the rigidity of the boat and its performance. So it would be worth checking that you can still get the original tramp nice and tight. They can stretch over time and can get to the point where you can't tighten them enough. But if that's all OK and if there are no holes, wear or stitching that might fail as you move around the boat - you should be fine to carry on with your current kit.

The Dart 15 Winter TT is at Grafham on Sunday 12th March if you've got your boat back together in time!

Jenny
Jaybear
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Jaybear »

Hi Jenny.

That's perfect thanks. I'll keep going with what I've got assuming i find it still tightens properly.

I'm afraid the Grafham event is very unlikely given the time. I've also moved away from the area and am between clubs. It is unlikely that I'll be considering race travel this year at least. But maybe in future seasons if i manage to get back to regular sailing.

Many thanks.
Jamie
Jamie.
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Hi Jamie

I agree with Jenny. My boat is 1237 and still has thin bolt ropes,} though the original trampoline & tracks have been replaced with 2nd hand parts one at a time due to wear & tear. If it ain't broke, don't fix it & if it is then spend the minimum money possible!
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Jaybear
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Jaybear »

Good advice, thanks Charles.

I was wondering how strong the prevention is better than cure argument might be for such a job. But yes, based on the answers given, so long as i'm sensible enough checking the kit i have there should still be time to prevent later. Which is fine by me.

Jamie.
Jamie.