Sailing Chandlery S15 sails

Dart 15 Chat
David Cramphorn
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Sailing Chandlery S15 sails

Post by David Cramphorn »

Hi all
At some point soon (be it end of this season, start of next) I intend to replace my very old and baggy sails. I've noticed SailingChandlery.com now sell S15 sails, and at a very reasonable price. Does anyone have any experience with these sails? are they any good? I'd probably also stick in new battens too, although they would come from Windsport, as SC.com doesn't appear to do them specifically for the S15.

https://www.sailingchandlery.com/search ... q=sprint15

I appreciate the sails are not class legal for S15Assoc events, but in reality I probably won't get to race in these events, so am just after a decent set of new crisp sail(s) for club fun without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance
David
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Sailing Chandlery S15 sails

Post by Mark Aldridge »

Personally I wouldn't touch them unless they're a known quantity. Who knows what the cut and construction is like and it'll have zero residual value too unlike a class legal sail.

Better off asking Steve Sawford or Windsport if they have a used main for sale or indeed posting here.
Mark Aldridge
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

I concur with Mark A's comments and would add that these sails have the potential to devalue the whole boat when you come to sell at worst and at best reduce the number of interested buyers.
You may also find that even if you wish to race at club level they will not permit non class legal sails.
If you race at club level with the class legal sails you will at least know you are competing on a level playing field as far as your kit is concerned.
If you decide to sell your boat with your old class legal sail, you still have another class legal sail to sell as a separate unit.
I don't know any details of these sails except what is said on the manufacturer's website - but I wouldn't be remotely interested in buying one.
Hope that helps the decision to buy or not.
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

Another thought if you don't want the real deal sail is the DX offerings from Steve Sawford.. Not for open meetings, but OK for club sailing on handicap and if you like to trapeze too.

I've never tried them, but they are a recognised, well designed & proven alternative.
Mark Aldridge
David Cramphorn
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by David Cramphorn »

Thanks to George and Mark for your advice. I hadn't actually considered the resale value of sails, or possible problems should I want to sell the boat.

I just need to dig deeper into my pockets and get the proper ones - it's crazy to think I'd be spending more on a set of sails and battens than what I paid for the whole boat, with multiple accessories and spares! :lol:

Is there any difference between the all white sails, and the ones with blue trim (other than colour!!)?? And are there likely to be any Windsport deals coming up for sails and battens if bought together? or do they not do that kind of thing?

Thanks again
D
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

David Cramphorn wrote:Thanks to George and Mark for your advice. I hadn't actually considered the resale value of sails, or possible problems should I want to sell the boat.

I just need to dig deeper into my pockets and get the proper ones - it's crazy to think I'd be spending more on a set of sails and battens than what I paid for the whole boat, with multiple accessories and spares! :lol:

Is there any difference between the all white sails, and the ones with blue trim (other than colour!!)?? And are there likely to be any Windsport deals coming up for sails and battens if bought together? or do they not do that kind of thing?

Thanks again
D
Give Tom a call regards prices & there's no performance difference in the two colour options.

There are plenty of very competitive boats from years back, but the sail must be in good order & the battens to drive the boat. Keep your skegs and rudders in good order (SS Marine/Windsport can help here if needed) and the tramp needs to be properly tight - the rest is up to you!
Mark Aldridge