The UK Dart 15 Association

Hull and overall boat weight

Dart 15 Chat
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hull and overall boat weight

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Couple of weeks ago when the debate was raging regarding new boat weight, minimum overall weight etc I published hull weights for 1615 after balancing them on the bathroom scales. The numbers looked very light, unbelievably light so I've been working to obtain accurate data with truly reflects the weight of the boat.
I got hold of an electronic weight bridge (300kg max in 200g increments), and suspended each hull in a simple sling, then weighed all the other stuff together on a pallet (sails, beams, rigging, rudders etc). Results are:

Port hull 38.2kg
Starboard hull 36.2kg (hull having major Steve Sawford repair years ago)
Overall weight 121.2kg (two piece mast)

Conclusions : big difference in my two sets of data. I'm more confident the weight bridge gave accurate figures. I shouldn't have published the first set of data unless I was happy with the method used (apologies Bob if it's caused some anxiety). 1615 is a 27 year old boat with an average weight for its age. Published results have to be obtained in the same way (anyone writing a scientific paper knows this).

I've sailed 1615 for 17 years and never been bothered what it weighs. I'll leave it to the committee to come up with an answer. I weighed myself and I'm half a stone to heavy (should have done the winter series).

Regards
Kevin
1615 (but saving up for a new boat)