The UK Dart 15 Association

Chairman

Dart 15 Chat
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chairman

Post by Liam »

Gordon Goldstone has stepped down as chairman of the Sprint 15 Association. We have been extremely lucky to have such an affable and likeable person at the helm. I am sure we would all like to express our best wishes and thanks to him and hope that he continues to be a regular competitor at events.

Chris Tillyer has now taken over the role. If you don't know who he is, he's the one towards the front of the fleet swaying back and forwards like Stevie Wonder.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
simon
Captain
Captain

Re: Chairman

Post by simon »

As long as he,s not rocking, thats fine
Chris Tillyer
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Chris Tillyer »

I also drive like him. :)
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Chris Tillyer wrote:I also drive like him. :)
Chris, if you raced like him, I might have a chance! Congratulations for taking on the chairmanship.

And thank you, Gordon, for your spell in the same role. You must have quaked in your boots when you assumed the mantle of Nick Dewhirst. But you stepped into his role just when the rest of us were so distraught. We are very grateful you did.

Andrew.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
DavidGroom
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by DavidGroom »

Well done Chris Good one.
David Groom

For cat sailors life has two certainties d@@@h and racing a Sprint 15
Gordon
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Gordon »

Guys

It’s true, I've stepped down from the position of chairman.

As I said in a previous post, this weight issue has caused some considerable discussion and disagreement within the committee over the last few months and may have implications for the whole class.

Following a committee meeting at the end of January, the committee decided by a majority decision that the new boats didn’t conform to the existing rules and decided to affix weights to these boats.

As I couldn’t go along with this decision, it was appropriate that I stand down and the committee elect a new chairman who could give the decisions taken their full support.

Chris Tillyer has subsequently stepped up and taken over and I wish him well for the future.

I’ll just say, I always thought it was an honour to be asked to take over after Nick, and whilst I could never hope to live up to Nick’s standard, I’ve always done my best to keep the best interests of the whole class uppermost in my mind at all times.
I sincerely hope that the Sprint 15 will be around for another 25 years.

Regards
Gordon
Crazysurf
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Crazysurf »

Thank you for your service Gordon,

I am sorry to see your departure but thank you for all you have done and to Chris for stepping in. I am so sorry the weight issue has been such a burden. The investigation appears to have been intense and massively comprehen but, I believe, the resolution of adding 6 kg to 2015+ boats prevents a two tier class.

I have never sailed a one design class before but really like it (less money, more skill). I think the weight equalisation is fabulous, even though new boats (same weight, same design) should be advantageous. Stiffness, scratchless??? All the people at the top of the fleet make sure their boats are in the best possible condition - Paul included - please do the same. Steve Sawford will fix it if you are not sure. If in dought, I like our new one.

Sophia and I bought a new boat but only wanted a boat as light as any predecessor, nothing more.

Hoping for some good winds,

Sean and Sophia.
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

All the people at the top of the fleet make sure their boats are in the best possible condition - Paul included
Absolutely: he only uses the best brands of duct tape on his boats.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Keith
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Keith »

Gordon,

It is a great pity that you are stepping down as chairman of the class. You came into the role under sad circumstances, but made the role your own and in your own style. You managed to covey your enthusiasm of the class to new and existing sailors alike and encourage them which, with the help of the committee, continued to mean that the open an national events remained successful and well attended. You will be missed, but hopefully you can use the time and dedication you brought to the role to improve your racing! (mate - I noticed that as chairman - it did your results no favors at all :D ) and will no longer be the last boat to get onto the water.

kind regards

Keith 1840