Halyard locking

Dart 15 Chat
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Halyard locking

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Hi all

Since replacing my main halyard with a new one from windsport I've had trouble getting the mainsail to lock when raised. The old rope halyard was very soft and stretched so I can only think my trouble is due to the new rope being a bit stiff, the stopper knot faces away from the mast so as the sail reaches the top the locking ring is moving away from the mast and not engaging with the hook. The other night I had to turn the boat onto its side and manually engage the lock, no trouble dropping the sail though.
Any easy way to sort this out, I don't want to put the old halyard back, or carry on having to turn the boat over.

Kevin
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Halyard locking

Post by Steve Willis »

Kevin,

I have noticed that some of the ring fittings are not straight. You could try removing the rope and put it in the ring the other way round as a first trial.
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Kevin,
Steve's idea is worth a try. I guess it is because the new halyard is a bit stiff. It will get better with use in time. It is worth flexing it about a lot by hand near the knot to try and soften it up. Otherwise let's hope Brian has some ideas.
Cheers
Bob
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Brian Phipps »

Hi all, Not sure why there should be any measureable difference the only thing that has changed over the years is the length of the actual hook . In the early years using the old sail material the hook was shortened by 5mm to help make it easier to disengage. When the sail material was upgraded the necessity for a shortened hook went away . Other factors that could effect hook on is the diameter of the halyard, std diameter 6mm , or the diameter of the sheave. Also check the mast hook is in line with the luff groove.
It may well help to bend the halyard ring to move the ring bit closer to the hook.
Hope that about covers every angle!
Brian
Always happy to chat on the phone.
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Thanks for the feedback, I've turned the locking ring around as Steve suggested plus made the stopper knot as small and as close to the end of the halyard as possible. But giving the rope a good twist as it leaves the locking ring seems to have sorted the problem. Just a new stiff rope which will soften with time I guess.

Thanks again for your help with one of those little challenges that drives you mad when your prepping the boat for a race against the clock.

Kevin
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

Brian Phipps wrote:Hi all, Not sure why there should be any measureable difference the only thing that has changed over the years is the length of the actual hook . In the early years using the old sail material the hook was shortened by 5mm to help make it easier to disengage. When the sail material was upgraded the necessity for a shortened hook went away . Other factors that could effect hook on is the diameter of the halyard, std diameter 6mm , or the diameter of the sheave. Also check the mast hook is in line with the luff groove.
It may well help to bend the halyard ring to move the ring bit closer to the hook.
Hope that about covers every angle!
Brian
Always happy to chat on the phone.
Brian,

Over the past few years I have come across 2-3 rings where the cleat part has been welded to the ring at an angle of 5-10 degrees rather than straight in line with the top 'eye' - all on older boats.

Steve