Thorpe Bay TT 6th-7th July

Dart 15 Chat
moreair
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Thorpe Bay TT 6th-7th July

Post by moreair »

Guys,
the Thorpe Bay TT is nearly here, weekend after next. The Notice of Race is available at the following link and more information about the club is also available on the TBYC Club website.

http://www.tbyc.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... f-Race.pdf NOR
http://www.tbyc.org TBYC Club Website

This event of course is not to be missed as Thorpe Bay is the home of the 2014 Nationals and this will be your chance to get a feel for the area. We are in the Thames Estuary and although not in open sea are affected by tides (and sometime choppy waves).
If you have read the recent Newsprint you will find out that this is the home of Andrew Hannah who has built a team of over 35 Sprints who have all had the opportunity to be trained by Howard Hawkes, many will be expected on the water for this Open.
Not only can Southend offer a good selection of places to stay, but we can offer free camping on the Council Green directly outside the club (we would however like you to tell us if this is your plan).
The TBYC Club itself has Racing all Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays and many MidWeek from Spring to Autumn (and a good programme for Winter), for this reason it has exceptional facilities with full bar and catering. For those that get fully worn out we even have a lift to get you to the first floor (or after using the bar, to get back to the ground floor).

We recently held and were commented on the success of the Feva National where we run an event for around 100 boats, 200 Crew, around 300 parents. So we hope that you will equally feel welcomed.

We look forward to seeing you all soon.

Paul Morgan and Steve Healy (Sprint Class Captains at Thorpe Bay Yacht Club)
Paul - Sprint 1954
moreair

Re: Thorpe Bay TT 6th-7th July

Post by moreair »

We know it is a reasonably early start on the Saturday and that people may want to come to Sunny Southend on Friday evening. This will not be a problem, please enter the Dinghy Park from Thorpe Esplanade (The Seafront Road) and then it is an immediate turn to the right to go through to the Car Park. Somebody will be around to meet you. Camping is also available from Friday.

The club facilities will also be available for the evening. Friday Night Dining has also just restarted by our catering (bookings only), please call a member of our team on 07851759265 and they can reserve a table for you.

Paul Morgan

P.s the 10 Day forecast suggests it will be warm with a 14 Mph Wind from the North, which could suggest a smooth very sailable sea. My fingers are crossed for it to stay that way.
Paul - Sprint 1954
Duncan Ford

Post by Duncan Ford »

Hi Paul

At the last TT and the Nationals at Thorpe Bay a number of visitors used sat navs and were directed through a busy part of Southend with trailers. IGNORE all sat navs and sign posts - the route is very simple! Enter Southend on the A127 and just go straight over at each and every roundabout and traffic light until you reach the sea. Turn left and TBYC boat park is 500 yds on the left.

Hope that helps.

Duncan Ford 1973
moreair

Post by moreair »

Duncan, thanks for that reminder and he is correct it is very simple to find us. One little caveat to his directions, it is completely straight on at every roundabout from entering Southend to the Thorpe Bay Seafront, however the A127 turns right at one point into the Town Centre and the Straight on road you will be using is the A1159. Just ignore any signs stay straight. It is all Dual Carriageway, except a small section at the start of the A1159 around a few corners.

Also be warned that there are average speed cameras from Basildon until the "Welcome to Southend on Sea" sign and then there are several normal speed cameras from there onwards.

Paul..
Paul - Sprint 1954
simon
Captain
Captain

Post by simon »

Hi Paul
Im intending to be there on Friday about 7.00 ish and will and staying in the van over the week-end.

Simon 1970 Stewartby
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

I'm hoping to arrive TYBC sometime Friday late afternoon. By the time friday lunchtime comes around I'll have had more than enough excitement at the office for one week :lol:
I've even purchased some new apres sail kit - a nice new set of earplugs for the unplugged entertainment - looking forward to it.
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
moreair

Post by moreair »

George, Not a problem we will probably be there from around 17:00 but I am just a mile up the road and will email you my phone number as I can come down if any earlier.

Unplugged entertainment, I have brought some Avantalk Jogger Bluetooth headphones (just under £20) which are water resistant, I think they are pretty much sealed apart from the hole used for charging, covered with a rubber bung and I have read people using them for sailing. So you can sail with music whilst knowing that you phone is safe in your Cocktail Cabinet. You can also install Mapmyride to the phone (if Android, it is probably also on iphone) and it logs your sail, plus it can be setup to tell you vital statistic via the headphones on regular intervals.

For anybody that plans to camp but doesn't have a tent, ToysrUs are doing some bargains on Gelert Tents (single skinned, but good for summer). See the links below for more info:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/gelert- ... ll-1594273
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/gelert- ... st18433401
Paul - Sprint 1954
pegums
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by pegums »

Hi All,
I will be there on Friday night, time depends on the north half of the M25, will be leaving Oxford at 4.30ish and am camping, lloking forward to seeing you all there. cheers stewart :D
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

I've just finished packing up the chairmans and my boat on the trailer and will be arriving sometime Friday evening.
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
moreair

Post by moreair »

We have just confirmed that we have fully arrange for a Saturday Evening Dinner to be served at 18:00 (Extra cost applies). We would have been off the water for a few hours so could be famished. It will be supplied by our quality caterers, well known for his excellent pies, with appropriate potatoes and vegetables and all this will be backed up by a pint of ale, lager or soft drink served by our club famous bar staff. Tickets will only be available at registration.

We will still have a good evening to hear the tales of Sprint 15 sailing and maybe even Andrew Hannah singing a ditty, although we may have to close the Sun Balcony doors.

Over 50% of our club boats will be coming out on the water (we have over 35 Sprints in the club) and with I hope a good turnout of travelers, because the weather is going to be good as Thorpe Bay is known for it's micro climate, the racing could nearly match some of our Nationals.

Paul..
Paul - Sprint 1954
moreair

Post by moreair »

Don't stop for Breakfast on the way, Motorway Services will not match our TBYC Kitchen, which will be serving from 08:00 Saturday and 08:30 Sunday.

The kitchen will also be open both days when we come off the water, but be quick as it will have to shut 15:30 Saturday and 16:00 Sunday.

I could say we are arranging Picnic Boat lunches, but we haven't yet successfully developed anything to keep it dry.

Paul
Paul - Sprint 1954
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Welcome to sunny Sarfend! All our previous Sprint open meetings have been blessed with glorious sunshine. This year, with a nice sea breeze expected, will be no exception. So you can leave your raincoats behind and bring your sandals and sunglasses instead.

I'll be around to help Paul Morgan from Friday afternoon. The parking for cars, boats and trailers is free. But you need to enter the greensward via the boat park which, in turn, is approached from the seafront.

There is a combination number for entry to the club toilets. I won't write it here, but advise it when you arrive.

The TBYC Sprints are pleased to host this event. We look forward to meeting you.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Paul Craft

Post by Paul Craft »

Hi all

I'm picking up the boat tomorrow so I will be there, if not Friday night it will be an early start on Saturday

Paul
Thomas Sandal
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Thomas Sandal »

Hi
I will leave Cambridge around 17.00 tomorrow Friday. Not sure when I will arrive, depends on the mode of M25.

Looking forward to see you all,
Thomas
moreair

Post by moreair »

Although you will be supplied the following when you attend the event, they are all now fully published and available online on the TBYC Website, links below.

http://www.tbyc.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... f-Race.pdf
http://www.tbyc.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... ng-SIs.pdf
http://www.tbyc.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... R-V2-0.pdf
Paul - Sprint 1954