The UK Dart 15 Association

Stewartby Summer TT - Saturday 9th June

Dart 15 Chat
KarlPountney
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Stewartby Summer TT - Saturday 9th June

Post by KarlPountney »

On wednesday night, a few of us Stewpot Sprint sailors were sitting about in the sun chewing the fat, when someone pointed out that it's just over 2 weeks to go before our Summer TT event. "Blimey!", I said, "Better get started on some drumming-up some interest!"

Some of the details for the event won't be finalised until Sunday when the home-fleet get together to organise who's doing what and so on. But I wanted to get something on the site tonight and, in the mean time, don't hesitate to ask a question if you're unsure about anything.

The most obvious thing we can tell you is that our TT event will be single day event and we're hoping this will appeal to folk not usually able to commit to an all-weekend event. The basic event details are as follows:
  • The gates will be open from 8.00am;
  • Briefing at 10.00 am and the first race will be at 10.30, or thereafter;
  • During the summer, Stewpot opens meetings normally include 4 races - 2 races in the morning, 2 races in the afternoon and we intend to follow this format for this event;
  • Each race is around 45-50 minutes long and each pair of races sailed back-to-back;
  • If conditions are variable on the day, then the race officer may decide to reduce the number of races to 3 (55-60 mins duration);
  • If 4 or 3 races are sailed there will be a single discard;
  • The class flag will be the Jolly Roger;
  • we use a 5,4,1,0 start sequence;
  • boats must pass through the start/finish line on every lap;
  • and we plan to get everyone that needs to get away by 5pm.
While we've not agreed the exact entry fee, it will be similar in cost to the Winter TT and we hope will include Bacon Butties first thing plus tea/coffee during the day. Keep an eye out for the Notice of Race on Sunday evening for the entry fee and lunch arrangements.

As racing coordinator at Stewpot, I really want to encourage as many 'novice' or 'new-to-the-class' sailors to make Stewartby their first TT event. We're a medium sized inland lake; we don't have a daunting big-club feel; there's no tide, swell or big seas; we've well trained safety boat captains used to 'cat' rescue; and are easy to reach from all areas of the UK, costal or inland. To that end, a number of prizes will be aimed at folk giving the TT circuit a go for the first time.

Sprinting is popular with a couple of home-boats, so why not bring your jib along too, you won't be alone! Go 2-up and make it a family affair!

Camping (tents, caravans & camper vans) is available to visitors on Friday and Saturday evening and free of charge. Furthermore, on Saturday a good number of club members will be camping over ready for the club's open day on Sunday 10th. Spring 15 sailors are more than welcome join in on Sunday where the home fleet will be actively taking members of the public and member's guests out for 'cat taster sessions'.

As I said earlier, any questions please ask. Keep an eye out for more details on Sunday. And I look forward to seeing many of you on the day.

Kind regards
Karl Pountney
Vice Commodore & Racing Coordinator, SWSC
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Stewartby Summer TT - Saturday 9th June

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Karl,
This is a very interesting experiment. It will be good to see how many people will travel to a one day summer event. Lot's of people do for the winter events and it should be easier in the summer with the long daylight. The added attraction of 4 races in the day should make it worthwile. Let's hope it is a big success.
Cheers
Bob
PS Maybe even Andrew Hannah might come :wink:
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

I'll be there and I am looking forward to it.
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
KarlPountney
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by KarlPountney »

Hi everyone.

We've had a little chat amongst the fleet and we can add to the details posted earlier.

The cost for the event will be £15 for visiting boats.
The entry fee will include a breakfast roll and free teas and coffees all day. Lunch will be extra but there will be a choice of hot food and the cost of between 3.50 and £5 represents excellent value.

We've decided to reserve our typical 'beer for everyone' prize bounty for the Winter TT event to keep you keen at the colder end of the year. However everyone who comes to our summer event will stand a chance of taking something home for their efforts as we've planned spot prizes from top-to-bottom in the fleet.

If there are any club members reading this, you should know that there will be a small entry fee of £5 to cover costs. The section committee has agreed to put-up the balance in line with the club's open meeting policy.

I'll send through a formal notice of race to Martin in due course for the event page.

I look forward to seeing you on the day.

Regards

Karl
Erling
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Erling »

Have just booked the ferry for car and two boats, so see you Saturday.
KarlPountney
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by KarlPountney »

With a couple of days to go it's looking breezy for Saturday which is good.

I've had a couple of enquiries regarding dropping boats off and/or staying over on Friday night. As per my earlier post this is fine. It would help if you would let me know in advance and avoid arriving too early so I can get to the club from work in plenty of time. My email address is vice.commodore@swsc.org.uk and you can reach me on my Mobile on 0772 585 2891. I plan to be at the club from around 5.30.

It might be easier if you text me with your name and when you plan to arrive. If you're staying the night, mention that too. Tents, camper vans, car boot, back-of-van, trailer-box, all is fine. We can even provide some electricity via our hook-ups if needed.

I need to sort some keys out, but I hope to have the bar open and food can be sourced from nearby villages - the usual stuff, chips, curry, etc.

I've had a sneak peek at the Saturday lunch menu this evening and you won't go hungry that's for sure! Please do remember to see the Galley staff first thing Saturday morning to order and pay for your lunch. We've made it easy for you 'cos they're handing out free bacon rolls and cups of tea when you arrive.

Regards, K.
pegums
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by pegums »

Boat is on the trailer and ready to go. Should be 2 of us from Oxford, looking forward to it. 8)
DARTPOTT
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Thanks Stewartby

Post by DARTPOTT »

A big thank you to the Stewartby team for a well organised TT, superb sailing, excellent company and that pork and leek pie with roasties and veg was the best £4 meal in the land (and gave me some much needed weight in the afternoon).
Richard Philpott (Sp15 1982); Shadow (015) and Bruce Roberts 434
Grafham Water & Ipswich Yacht Haven
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Thanks Stewartby

Post by George Stephen »

I agree with Richard - the first single day 4 race format summer TT went very well. I was shattered afterwards, but then I'm just an old fogey who hadn't been able to sail much this year.

I know that Erling finds Clubs are less willing than previously to host TT events these days. If the one day 4 race format is more acceptable to potential host clubs, then I don't have a problem with it being used more often. I'd guess Sprinters with work and family commitments may also find they can attend single day events more frequently.
George 1594
Erling
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Erling »

Thanks for a good days sailing, we have some pictures of the event on the Shanklin web.
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Erling wrote:Thanks for a good days sailing, we have some pictures of the event on the Shanklin web.
Here's the link: http://www.shanklinsailingclub.com/pict ... tby-TT.php
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Liam wrote:
Erling wrote:Thanks for a good days sailing, we have some pictures of the event on the Shanklin web.
Here's the link: http://www.shanklinsailingclub.com/pict ... tby-TT.php
Well done to whoever took the photos. Hopefully he-who-is-doing-the report will send in a couple of these to Y&Y when the report is distributed :wink:
Cheers
Bob
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

Folks,

Could you send me the link or results plus the report when they are available please, so I can put them up on the website.

Thanks,

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
DARTPOTT
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Stewartby pics

Post by DARTPOTT »

Thanks Shanklin for taking and posting the very good pics. Any chance that we can get access to good resolution copies please?
Richard Philpott (Sp15 1982); Shadow (015) and Bruce Roberts 434
Grafham Water & Ipswich Yacht Haven
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stewartby pics

Post by Liam »

DARTPOTT wrote:Thanks Shanklin for taking and posting the very good pics. Any chance that we can get access to good resolution copies please?
Should be no problem. I will see what I can do.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals