The UK Dart 15 Association

Carsington Winter TT 4th December Cancellation

Dart 15 Chat
ray.gall
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ray.gall »

With regret I need to inform that the Carsington Winter TT December 4th has been cancelled due to severe inclement conditions and a deteriorating weather forecast predicted for our area of Derbyshire over the next ten days.
A reconnoitre today of the roads leading to Carsington; access / egress of the club site, highlighted slippery conditions due to snow and ice. Whilst with care, access to Carsington SC is still open; I would not want to be towing a trailer in the area given the impending worsening conditions.
George Love and I were standing in the boat park at mid-day today deliberating in the sunshine; the conditions at that time recorded a temperature of minus 6!
Weather information services contacted regarding weather predictions for the Carsington area over the coming week forecast; sub zero temperatures to continue other than a respite on Tuesday, deteriorating to snowfall due Thursday/Friday and potential minus 15 (yes -15) plus wind chill on Saturday 4th December.
The edges of the lake are frozen today and by next weekend the lake is expected to be totally frozen over.
It is hoped that an alternative date in the New Year can be found to re-run the Carsington Winter TT, I have already started negotiations with CSC officials and the Sprint 15 Association towards this end, will let you know the outcome a.s.a.p.
Ray
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

In the circumstances, I think the decision taken today as a result of the impending and current conditions here in Derbyshire is entirely right. Hopefully this will be a postponement as opposed to a cancellation so that at some stage we can welcome you all to an event that we love to host as part of the best Class winter series in the UK!
ALL the local forecasts cannot be wrong in predicting some remarkably cold temperatures for the coming week and beyond. The predicted temp. of minus 6 for next Sat. (with Minus 14 on Fri. night) coupled with wind chill in the anticipated breeze would effectively give us around minus 13 at best by noon on Sat.! I know we're a tough bunch but we are not foolhardy either - good call Ray.
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Gordon
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Gordon »

To Ray and George

I know it's difficult to change things like this, but thanks for making the decision in good time.

I was planning on making the journey and there's nothing worse than waiting till the last minute, not knowing what to do.

When the new date is decided, I'm sure I'll be there.

Happy Christmas all.

Gordon
KarlPountney
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by KarlPountney »

Ray/George,

To echo others, I for one think the decision is the right one for all concerned and thank you both for the time taken to arrive at a decision in good time.

The four of us from Stewartby who were coming next weekend (Jon & Robert Finch, Mark Norman and myself) will be keenly looking forward to a rescheduled event.

Regards

Karl Pountney
SWSC
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Carsington TT Postponement

Post by George Stephen »

Ray and George,

I too have been getting ready to go to Carsington.

6 months ago I ordered my new car (4 wheel drive) so that I could be sure of getting there in the anticipated difficult driving conditions. It took a long time coming. I've had it a month now so it's done enough miles to be able to tow without ignoring the manufacturer's advice.

Over this week end I honed the skegs on my cat to ice skate sharpness, so that I would stand a chance in the rearranged ice-cat event that you were sure to put on. (If you want to go really fast on a cat, it's cheaper and easier to implement than designing and making foils, and just as fast!)

I was about to email Gordon to offer to take him and his boat when I checked the Sprint 15 website and found the news. I'm devastated!

Well done for sorting this out promptly - it would be all too easy for a last minute postponement to be missed by a competitor with a long way to travel, or worse still to fail to get onto this well run website in good time, for reasons beyond control.

Happy New Year to all, with an extra Sprint 15 Event to look forward to! Will Erling be carpeted if he decides to go?

PS The gold Volvo has gone, via Ebay and for more money than I had expected.
George 1594
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Carsington Winter TT 4th December Cancellation

Post by Martin Searle »

Folks,

Find some pictures from George and Ray's look around Carsington at:

http://www.sprint15.com/pics/viewer.php ... 62&stage=2

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
Georgecart
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Winter Sailing

Post by Georgecart »

Hey guys, come to Toronto. Still sailing here (and outdoor ice skating too!)
ray.gall
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ray.gall »

Hi George

What sort of ice breaking dinghies are you sailing this time of year?
Are we in the Peak District being wimps! or is north america having a heat wave?

Kind Regards

Ray
Georgecart
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Winter Sailing

Post by Georgecart »

No ice-breakers yet. We are a little warmer than normal, I guess the UK is a bit cooler......