The UK Dart 15 Association

Dart 15 Boat Database
Duncan Ford
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Duncan Ford »

Is 1755, a Cocktail, still out there?

I bought her from the Laser Centre secondhand in March 2000 and she had come down from Peterhead where she had been sailed in the North Sea and inland lochs by Norval Strachan.

I remember removing some of the Cocktail "fruit" from the logo!

I sailed her at TBYC in the Thames Estuary for 3 seasons and sold her to Duncan Watkinson of Calshot in November 2002. Interested to see if she is still there.
Duncan Ford 1973
g6jyn
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: 1755

Post by g6jyn »

Hi Duncan, it's Duncan here from Calshot!
Yes, 1755 is still out there, well here to be precise! I sailed her regularly at Calshot for many years and have continued to look after her well! A few years ago someone gave me a spare sail and I spent a couple of seasons sailing with that, but the last 2 years, she's not been on the water. Family commitments and major building work at home and so I decided this year that my garage is a much safer a place for her than 'bramble bush corner' she'd been relegated to at Calshot last year. I'm thinking seriously about moving her on if I can find anyone who'd give her a good home though.
Duncan Ford wrote:Is 1755, a Cocktail, still out there?
I sailed her at TBYC in the Thames Estuary for 3 seasons and sold her to Duncan Watkinson of Calshot in November 2002. Interested to see if she is still there.
Duncan Ford

Post by Duncan Ford »

Hi Duncan

Pleased to hear you still have 1755 but sorry to hear she is in your garage! We now have something like 29 Sprints at Thorpe Bay due to the hard work of our fleet captain Andrew Hannah. Sounds as if 1755 ought to come back here if you are doubtful about sailing her. I will alert Andrew.

I still have 1973 bought when I sold to you.

Best wishes.

Duncan Ford
Duncan Ford 1973
g6jyn
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by g6jyn »

Duncan, just to let you know #1755 is returning 'home'!
Robert Bailey from TBYC bought her from me this morning. I think Andrew Hannah had something to do with her new owner being converted from monohull to the '15'! All the best, Duncan W
Duncan Ford

Post by Duncan Ford »

Hi Duncan

Just returned from hols to see your mail re 1755. Andrew is like a bloodhound with these boats! Really glad to see her return to TBYC. I'll have a good look at her and make sure she has been well cared for!

Am hoping to sail to Whitstable tomorrow (17 miles or so) if enough wind. Generally though I have been forced to sail much less recently. I rarely race and prefer long distance cruising mid-week, but our club has spent a fortune on a concrete surfaced jetty which single handers cannot land on without damage and it is a real struggle to launch off the beach without 2/3 helpers, even with wide wheels. We now have races with 50+ boats and only 5/6 using the jetty. Answer is a boat friendly surface, but no signs yet.

Sorry you are not sailing a Sprint any more. Perhaps you will be able to get back to it.

Best wishes

Duncan (Ford)