The UK Dart 15 Association

Full Covers [Bob Rowntree]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Full Covers [Bob Rowntree]

Post by Archive »

Bob Rowntree wrote:

I finally got the opportunity this week to take my new boat to Grafham and put it together. I am very pleased with it on the whole but I was disappointed to find that I had received what I think is a trampoline cover rather than the "full cover" which I was expecting. I haven't fitted it yet but it is definitely rectangular without lengths to cover the hulls. The Laser Centre invoice describes this as 'Cover Top Deluxe D15 - C962'. The Laser Centre just phoned me as apparently they have had a one or two reported problems with rust affecting the rigging on this batch of boats and I took the opportunity to query the cover. Apparently they only supply 'Top Covers' with D15s now. Is this correct?
Bob R
Archive
Archive

Full Cover [Bob Carter]

Post by Archive »

Bob Carter replied:

Hi Bob
The cover de Luxe is definitely the full cover and the deal I negotiated for ?4200 was for the full cover.
Please complain most strongly and I will also follow it up on your behalf.
Cheers
Bob

PS I have just looked on the web page. Both covers are listed. Gold Card (or members) prices (before VAT) are as follows:

D69009 Trampoline Cover ?117.79
D69008 Top Cover Deluxe ?217.57
-----------------------------------------------------
Difference ?105.78

Thus difference with VAT + ?124.29. Thus they should either refund this amount of money or replace the tramp cover with the full cover.

PS. Did anyone else have this problem?
Archive
Archive

I got a full cover! [Phil]

Post by Archive »

Phil replied:

Hi Bob
Yes, I have what they call a full top cover, but, they were very sparing with the material.It has to be pulled quite hard to cover the sides.
There also seems to be a problem with shackles and shrouds, in that they have been using a rubber hammer to put the shrouds on the shackle.[For some time it seems].So if the items come separate, the eye of the shroud won't go over
the shackle without force and if you wish to replace a shroud it won't come off.
Archive
Archive

Getting the Shrouds over the big shackle [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Phil
The shackle thing has been that way for some time but only at the big shackle at the top. They used to use larger thimbles (loops)on the shrouds - but they never fitted the shroud wire properly.
What I have done for my last few boats is to file the corners off the bosses of the large shackle a little.
The loop of the shrouds then pass over OK.
Cheers
Bob
Archive
Archive

Cover [Geoff Howlett]

Post by Archive »

Geoff Howlett replied:

Hi Bob, I received a full cover but the rust saga is ongoing.The Laser Centre is investigating the possibility that their complete stock of rigging wire is suspect. That is of the guage used for shrouds etc. The rust staining is probably only going to show if the boats are used in salt water.

Regards

Geoff Howlett
Archive
Archive

Full covers/Bob Rowntree [Dartful Codger 2.0001]

Post by Archive »

Dartful Codger 2.0001 replied:

Hi Bob
What was the outcome regarding your 'full de-luxe cover' ?
Did Laser admit a mistake , or is there a change to specification ?
Also , have they replaced your rigging yet ?
I should be collecting my new Barcelona next weekend, so would like to know what satisfaction you have had yet, if any , before I start asking questions .
Cheers Paul Smith
Archive
Archive

Rigging & New Boat. [Phil]

Post by Archive »

Phil replied:

Hi Codger
Ref your last to Bob Rowntree, Lazer have told me that a lot of rigging is of poor quality and are replacing with new batch of wire.
A larger spindle eye is being fitted to the shroud wire so that it will go over the large shackle without force!
Archive
Archive

Rigging/Covers [Dartful Codger 2.0001]

Post by Archive »

Dartful Codger 2.0001 replied:

Hi Phil
Thanks for the info. I suppose the new test is if the top eye goes over the large shackle easily, then it should be from a new batch of wire. I will check this out on Saturday.
Any further instalments re the saga on FULL DE-LUXE COVER SPEC.? - come in Bob Rowntree - over ! de dah dit dit.
Paul
Archive
Archive

Cover [Bob Rowntree]

Post by Archive »

Bob Rowntree replied:

Bob,
I checked my cover today and its definately a trampoline cover despite what the invoice says. The Laser Centre have admitted their mistake and will exchange it at Grafham on 3rd Feb. for a full cover. Thanks for your help and advice.

I had a brief sail while I was at Grafham. I was a bit rusty but the boat seems to go very well.

While at the club I noticed your proposal to pair up the experienced guys with the novices for one lap. Sounds a great idea to me and I hope its supported.

See you soon,
Regards,
Bob.
Archive
Archive

Bobs' [Bob Carter]

Post by Archive »

Bob Carter replied:

Henceforth, Bob Rowntree will be called "Barcelona Bob" to avoid any confusion.