The UK Dart 15 Association

Race Training (Grafham) [Bob]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Race Training (Grafham) [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob wrote:

For those that may have been following our debate on this chat page (and in other places) on how we can get our newer sailors trained up so they do not become dispondent at always being left behind, this is what we plan to do at Grafham, starting 3 Feb.
I copy it below for information to the Grafham Slow Cat Fleet and also perhaps other Clubs might like to pick up on the idea.
Cheers
Bob Carter

Pro-Am Race Training
Grafham Slow Catamaran Fleet
11 January 2002

Proposal/Overview

The proposal aimed at getting the experienced Grafham sailors in the Slow Catamaran Fleet to train the novices and not just disappear over the horizon at least once per month (on the first Sunday of each month when we already encourage the less frequent sailors and novices to make a particular effort to attend). It was suggested by Chris Black and is based on the Pro-Am idea used in golf and at the Dart 15 Nationals Championships. Basically, before a race at Grafham, we partner up each ?novice? or ?Am? with an experienced helm or ?Pro?. Then for the first lap of the race the Pro must not cross through the start line (gate) in front of her/his Am partner. This means that it is of major importance to the Pro to get the Am partner to go as fast as possible during this lap and he will coach his Am for at least one lap. I have developed the following details to kick it off.

Draft Details

We start by just trialing it for the 1.30pm race on the first Sunday of each month, but it could possibly be extended to both afternoon races in the summer if it proves successful and popular.

? The Fleet Captain (Bob Carter) or his delegate pairs up the Pros and Ams at 12.45 in the wet bar before the race.

? An informal stack ranking of the slow catamaran fleet will maintained, like a squash ladder. The top sailor in attendance on the day will be paired with the bottom sailor in attendance on that day; the second from top with the second from bottom, etc., etc.

? The Fleet will be divided into 4 groups based on their ladder positions. The following is a first draft by way of explanation:

Group A Pros 1
- George Carter
- Stuart Snell
- Bob Carter
- Chris Black
- Steve Sawford

Group B Pros 2
- Bill Tusting
- Philip Howden
- Simon Farthing
- John Keyte
- Mark Aldridge
- Steve Petts
- Paul Storer
- others

Group C
- Richard Whitlock
- Guy Humphries
- Sandy Taylor
- others

Group D Ams
- Keith Ball
- Dave Bennion
- Simon Baynes
- Bob Rowntree
- Jonathan Perkins
- Frank Sandells
- Robert Ulph
- Tony Bolton
- Trevor Arnold
- others

? The objective is to pair all off Group D with a Pro. Group C will not be paired, in general but will have a benefit from getting a head start from the hot shots and, hopefully, can learn as they watch them go by.

? The primary Pros (Group A) must all be paired up. If there are insufficient Ams then one Am may get 2 or more Pros (this is necessary to ensure that there is not a big disadvantage to this group in training the Ams)

? Group B may infrequently be used as Pros, if there are too few of group A present but will not be subjected to the above constraint.

? The Pro must not cross the start line ahead of his Am after the first lap. After 1 lap all constraints are removed.
R Carter 11 Jan 2002
Archive
Archive

Re: Novice Improvement Programme [Trevor Arnold]

Post by Archive »

Trevor Arnold replied:

Bob. Sounds like a good idea. Is the heating back on by Feb?

regards

Trevor
Archive
Archive

Re: Novice Improvement Programme [Martin Holmes]

Post by Archive »

Martin Holmes replied:

Re the Pro-Am race on the 3rd, good idea, will see you on the day

Martin
Archive
Archive

Re: Novice Improvement Programme [Keith Ball]

Post by Archive »

Keith Ball replied:

Sounds like a great idea & I look forward to trying it out & benefiting.

See you on the 3rd if not before.

Keith
Archive
Archive

Re: Novice Improvement Programme [Bill Tusting]

Post by Archive »

Bill Tusting replied:

This looks like an excellent idea I am afraid that I am working on the 3rd but will do my best to do the march 1 st Sunday

Best regards

William
Archive
Archive

Race Training (Grafham) [Nick Dewhirst]

Post by Archive »

Nick Dewhirst replied:

Brilliant idea. Well done for dreaming it up. I reckon it is just the sort of thing to get us some publicity with Jeremy Evans in the low season under the headimg "Bored with Winning?" but I leave it to you.
Regards - Hope to see you at Rutland
Nick
Archive
Archive

Race Training (Grafham) [Simon Baynes]

Post by Archive »

Simon Baynes replied:

This seems an excellent idea and I'm keen to support it though being wimp-ish we are unlikely to be out the first Sunday of February! I look forward to seeing how the experiment goes and will see you on the water in the Spring.

Regards

Simon
Archive
Archive

Re: Novice Improvement Programme [Richard Whitelock]

Post by Archive »

Richard Whitelock replied:

Bob,
My apologies for absence. I think that the ProAm is a great idea - I will make those days that I can, but I have a lot of w/e committments so no promises. Just wanted you to know that I appreciate all the work you guys are doing to improve the fleet.

Richard
Archive
Archive

Race Training (Grafham) [Jon Bell]

Post by Archive »

Jon Bell replied:

Bob,

thanks very much for the reply. Wind permitting I look forward to seeing you on the 3rd. I should make the 11am start.

Best wishes,

Jon
Archive
Archive

Training Programme [Joe Armstrong]

Post by Archive »

Joe Armstrong replied:

Thanks Bob for the training programme. We now have 30 boats (Dart 15s)at Instow and had already arranged similar training for the slower helms.
Joe