Sail Number Placing on Mainsail [Robin]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Sail Number Placing on Mainsail [Robin]

Post by Archive »

Robin wrote:

Hi

I was just about to start sticking my sail numbers on my new main but don't seem to have the placing instructions.
(I have the instructions for a Laser, etc. Very useful. Thanks Laser).

Do any instructions exist or are they just a figment of my imagination?

Robin
Archive
Archive

Numbers placing [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Robin
Yes placing instructions do exist. You have two options:
1) Ask Laser Centre to send you the placing instructions and then wait 3 weeks.
2) Do like the rest of us and lay your new sail on top of your old sail and stick them on in the same place as the old boat.
Cheers
Bob
PS What sail number did you get?
Archive
Archive

Sail Number Placing on Mainsail [Keith Ball]

Post by Archive »

Keith Ball replied:

Hi Robin,

Lucky old me. When I went to collect my (Millennium) boat from the Laser Centre they put the numbers on for me, as I was delayed while they went hunting for missing bits & sticking the boat transfers on! (& the point of them stating a strict collection time was......?)

Anyway, while my sail was spread out over their showroom floor, I copied down the fitting instructions they were working from (which I hope were the correct ones!) as follows;

4th Panel
Starboard = Top Set
10cm Down
10cm in from Leach
6cm Apart

Hope this is of use.

Keith
(D15 1937)
Archive
Archive

Good Old Days [Robin]

Post by Archive »

Robin replied:

Thanks Keith and Bob

Fortunately I have an old sail with me so I can check the spacing on that.

My Dad was telling me that there was once a time when on all new boats, they put the numbers on for you!!!!!! Obviously, I don't believe this and put it down to 'The Good Old Days' syndrome.

Anyway, tonight, an evening in with; two sails, a ruler, a pencil and a bit of wood. Its part of the 'bonding' experience.

Thanks

Robin
Archive
Archive

Instructions for applying sail numbers [Phil Breeze]

Post by Archive »

Phil Breeze replied:

I HAVE THE INSRUCTIONS FOR SAIL NUMBERS IF ANYONE WANTS THEM!
They go on the Pink panel on the new boat,which is a little strange!!!![BLACK ON PINK.]
Archive
Archive

Sail numbers [Dartful Codger 2.0001]

Post by Archive »

Dartful Codger 2.0001 replied:

Hi Phil
Yes I would like to see the correct instructions, since there is a vague chance I will get my new boat sometime this year . Your basic advice however is already confusing since Bob has stated that the coloured panel is in the wrong place , and anyway I have ordered a plain white sail .
Perhaps you could post the facts generally on the web-site, rather than reply specifically to me, since I am sure at this time of year, quite a few new sails will be emerging, as well as those attached to new boats .
Regards, Paul Smith
Archive
Archive

Dart sail numbers [Phil]

Post by Archive »

Phil replied:

Hi Codger,
I would love to try and explain how to put the numbers on but I would get confused myself.
When I collected my boat, I asked for the instruction for applying sail numbers.No problem they have lots.
Basic instrutions are: The numbers shall be placed at different heights on the two sides of the sail, those on starboard side being uppermost.
Lay sail on floor with BOLT ROPE ON LEFT. FIRST PANEL BELOW INSIGNIA draw a line through centre of this panel.I Used masking tape.31mm down from the centre line will be the top of the numbers, 125mm in from the LEECH BORDER is the edge of the last number now work towards the BOLT ROPE. There is 75mm between each number.Turn the sail over and do the same above the centre line but start with the first number.
THERE,CLEAR AS MUD!!!
Archive
Archive

Sail Number Location [Dartful Codger 2.0001]

Post by Archive »

Dartful Codger 2.0001 replied:

Well, much as I suspected
Two specific replies, allegedly from the same source (i.e. the Laser Centre ) but with totally different dimensions -
or did Keith Ball copy the wrong ones down - or more alarmingly , was the fitter at the Laser Centre working from the wrong instructions ?
Can anyone else submit another variation on this theme ?
Tune in later for the next exciting episode ! All contributions gratefully received .
Alternatively ,if it's all too baffling for you , perhaps it would be easier to take Bob's advice and take the dimensions off another sail - it can't be that critical can it ?
Archive
Archive

Sail Number Location [Keith Ball]

Post by Archive »

Keith Ball replied:

I assumed the fitter knew what he was doing & was using the correct instructions. Amusingly (now) I was seconds away from having sail number 1973 until I intervened!

However using, as suggested, dimensions from another sail assumes the original is "correct".

Both Phil & I obtained, albeit minor, differing instructions from the LC - so I echo your questioning the critical nature of this. Otherwise a vital piece of kit for the Nationals could be a tape measure & a wad of protest forms?!?!

Keith
(D15 1937)