The UK Dart 15 Association

Looking to buy [Paul Fenner]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Looking to buy [Paul Fenner]

Post by Archive »

Paul Fenner wrote:

Hello can anyone give us some advice about suitability of a dart 15 for a family with three teenagers?
Archive
Archive

To Paul Fenner (Dart 15 - Family appeal) [Dartful Codger 3]

Post by Archive »

Dartful Codger 3 replied:

Re: Suitability of a Dart 15 for family use .
It's best feature is that it certainly has room for at least 4 people at once, although this would obviously not help it's top speed .
To be serious, I think it would be a good idea to reveal where you live, and give a contact number, so that hopefully one of us can invite you to try one out. Then you can see for yourself what a super boat it is to sail, ideally one or 2-up , with or without trapeze , single or two-sail mode . I'm sure you won't regret it.
P.S. I'm from Yorkshire, and our club is closed for sailing until the beginning of March, but I would be more than happy to take you for a spin then, if nobody else can oblige, and our joining fees are most reasonable . I hope that doesn't sound too biased !
Cheers Paul Smith
Archive
Archive

Buy one now and then another when the kids take over! [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Paul/ Maddie
If you buy two Dart 15s the whole family can race! I have taken a family of 4 fun sailing in a Dart 15 - it is crowded but OK for messing about at the seaside. The Beaver Sailors go Makerell fishing with 4 or so aboard at the Nationals every year. Generally it is better with 2 or one aboard. As Paul writes, the best thing is to organise for a trial sail at a nearby Dart 15 Club. We can easily set it up. If you send me you postal address I can send you some information on the Class to get you interested (this web site also is good to browse). On the family aspects the following is an extract from my 2001 report which should give you a flavour of the family side:

"The major themes I will remember from 2001 are the rebirth of the family crews with teenagers sailing with (or without) parents and for two fantastic National Championships. Throughout the year the youth sailing element was steadily increasing with such family teams as Steve and David Littlejohn, Henry & Oliver Clark, Simon & Tom Baynes. Jonathan and Tom Perkins, Mark & Jason Aldridge, William & John Tusting, etc. and then more recently we have seen complete teenager teams such as Catherine Tusting/Sarah Margetson and Richard Hanby/Sam Jones doing very well in tough conditions.
The National Championship at Pentewan was a great success. 53 entries, close racing, nice weather and a super social programme masterminded by Steve & Christine Petts aided and abetted by Di and Terry Cocks. It seemed that the fleet was ready to return to its roots with 3 days of racing followed by 3 days of fun events. It was made possible by the re-emergence of the family teams together with many of the old timers who were keen to enjoy the features and atmosphere of Pentewan. New-comer to the fleet, Charles Simkin, entered his first Dart 15 championship at the ripe old age of 71. You should have seen him enjoy the fun sail to Polkeris! The Gurnard Guys came in strength and found out how to sail una-rig ? indeed they showed many of us the way (Laurie Gustar was 2nd and Robin Leather 5th).
The record entry (42) for the Sprint Nationals at Gurnard was fantastic. Every day was windy (force 4-6) and it was one of the hardest 3 days sailing I can remember. "

One other option is we will be at the Alexandra Palace Dinghy show (2/3 March) in strength and with a brand new boat to display so you could come along and check us out.
Hope to see you.
Cheers
Bob Carter