The UK Dart 15 Association

Grafham Grand Prix [Robin Boardman]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Grafham Grand Prix [Robin Boardman]

Post by Archive »

Robin Boardman wrote:

Did any Dart 15's do the Grafham Grand Prix?
I am sure there is one on the pictures but I cannot find any mention of one in the results.

PS Happy New Year everybody
Archive
Archive

D15s at Grafham Grand Prix [Dartful Codger 3]

Post by Archive »

Dartful Codger 3 replied:

Robin,
I was reliably informed that at least Stuart Snell took part, presumably in boat 1896 (Stiletto), although I gather the course set wasn't ideal for 'non-kite craft', even though the wind strength was, so I'm not sure how he fared .
Maybe Bob Carter will have some more info for you .
Cheers Paul Smith
Archive
Archive

Strange results category [Jonathan]

Post by Archive »

Jonathan replied:

Hi,

For some strange reason the Dart 15's results are in the 'Fast Handicap' table, rather than the 'Catamaran and Fast Asymetric' one. Have a look for a www.madforsailing.com article called "Grand Prix is freezing....." for the full results.

If you also have a look at their photo pages titled "Action from the Grafham Grand Prix", Stuart does indeed feature on page 3(!).

Jonathan
Archive
Archive

Silly me!!! [Robin Boardman]

Post by Archive »

Robin Boardman replied:

Thanks Dartful Codger 3 and Jonathan.
Silly of me not to have looked under fast handicap!!!!!
You have saved me a few bob though because if it was not a Dart 15 I thought I was looking at, I was going to have to splash out on a new monitor (or glasses).

Robin - Dart 1515
Archive
Archive

Fast Handicap & Dart 15s [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

The Grand Prix got reorganised to group the boats together in similar speed ranges. The Hurricanes, Inter 17,s Spitfire, etc are faster and similar in speed to the 49er, RS800, Laser 5000, etc and are grouped together. The Dart 15 is similar in speed to the Laser 4000, 505, Fireball, 29er etc so they are also grouped together. When all the Cats were grouped together the speed range was too great which causes either too long races for the Dart 15s or too short races for the Hurricanes.
It is the headings that are confusing.
Cheers
Bob
PS If it had been windier Stuart would have done better. The Dart 15 does not perform well on handicap against monohulls in light winds. Given a force 4-5 then it all changes!