The UK Dart 15 Association

2002 Circuit [Paul Smith]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Post by Archive »

Paul Smith wrote:

Re: Bob's question regarding the proposed 2002 D15 circuit and suggestions , from a personal point of view , I would welcome Beaver , Blithfield or Bala as an alternative to Filey , which this year was a victim of varying circumstances resulting in poor attendance figures . Or was it simply a case of BEEN THERE-DONE THAT-TOO FAR TO GO ETC.
Clearly , Beaver boats supported it because it is only an
hour and a half away , but then we also support the Southern meetings , and it still means giving up a weekend to support the Class Events . Anyway enough said !
Blithfield has been on the circuit before , and has a decent clubhouse , sailing area and camping facilities ,and
appears to have increased its number of D15s recently after
almost fizzling out a few years ago .
Beaver, it goes without saying would be happy to hold a 2 day event again , subject to early agreement on the dates , preferably by January 2002 , and a reasonable indication that it would be well supported .
Regarding Bala , I attended a Cat open meeting there recently , and found it an excellent sailing venue . The sailing area is more than adequate, launching facilities are very good , the camping site is superb , but it does lack a decent club-house . However , they often organise a marquee and barbeque for bigger events, but obviously they would need to be fairly sure of a good attendance to go to such lengths .(I would guess 20+ boats)
So, on behalf of Beaver Boats , I am sure you can count on our support for all three venues .
Dartful Codger II
Archive
Archive

2002 Events [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

This was the originating Email I sent to Beaver (see below).
What we need is a Northern Event that our Northern Clubs sailors will attend (Rutland, Beaver, Filey, Carsington, etc. The Beaver Guys are good guys - they attend many events - even though the clubs they visit often do not reciprocate. Last year only the only Club that attended Filey was Beaver. So come on - where will you support next year? Ideas required.
Cheers
Bob

"Hi Guys,
My preference for 2002 summer TT events is to give Filey a miss for a year as we only got 6 entries and to put Beaver back in.

Any views?

Any other ideas?*

If you agree please sound out your Club if they are willing.

Thanks

Bob

* possibilities would include, Blithfield, Bala, Blackpool,etc. "
Archive
Archive

Post by Archive »

Paul Smith replied:

3 further views :-
Regarding Blackpool , I think this is a non-starter because it puts a good 90 miles onto an already long journey for Southerners . I know we are talking about the Northern Championships , which logically should at least be held somewhere you could call North , but then anywhere North of Watford is considered North to a Southerner , so it is all rather relative really . But seriously , It seems to me that the fundamental criterion for attending open meetings generally is how far you have to travel , particularly in the case of 1 day meetings , and would appear to over-ride all other incentives like good sailing area , camping facilities , easy road access , even good food and drink availability .
Having said that , for 2002 , Bridlington Yacht club have personally invited us to attend their regatta week in August (this is NOT the Dinghy Club we used to attend - or do I mean dingy ! ), so perhaps there is food for thought there . I think this would work out to be 2 weeks before the Nationals if we were interested .
Dropping much further South ,is Draycote Water a viable option near Leamington? I have never been , but it looks to have a decent size pond to float on , and of course is much nearer the majority of Dart 15 sailors .
Just a thought - I might think again later ! !
Dartful Codger II
Archive
Archive

2002 Events [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Thanks for your input Paul - doesn't anyone else have any views?
My current preference is to go for a Beaver for a Northern event as there is a strong home fleet and Bridlington is too far for the Southerners (or even the Rutlanders!).

I am tempted to try a couple of one day events abit like the winter series in addition to the 2-day events.Many of our family members don't like to be away for the weekend and we might get some new people travelling. These would have to be centralish so they are easy to get to. Options would include Queen Mary, Blithfield, Draycote, Datchet, etc.

Views welcome.

Cheers

Bob
Archive
Archive

Post by Archive »

Paul Smith replied:

I agree that some more 1 day events might tempt a few more out , providing the distance isn't too far , but I think they would still have to count as part of the series,rather than just act like 'taster sessions'. Otherwise there would be no incentive for the 'pro's' to turn up , and the event probably would not be well supported . If the idea is to encourage new blood , they need to see how it should be done , and to be able to get help and advice from the more experienced helms , so you need to ensure there is a reason for these people to turn up .
P.S. Talking to Henry , Datchet would not be on my list !
Dartful Codger II
Archive
Archive

2002 Events [Bill Tusting]

Post by Archive »

Bill Tusting replied:

Attn Bob

One day events .

yes please

Best regards

William
Archive
Archive

2002 Events [Nick]

Post by Archive »

Nick replied:

Hi Bob,
My only input is that we should go for inland clubs with D15 fleets and that one day events should score only half points, leaving coastal events to be weekends-by-the-sea
Regards
Nick Dewhirst
Archive
Archive

2002 Events [Ray Gall]

Post by Archive »

Ray Gall replied:

Following the disappointing event in terms of cats on water at Filey last year I personally would be in favour of going to Beaver where I suggest the competition and turn out will be good.
The suggestion to use local "Sailing Clubs" to me this means no more than two hours travelling (80 mile radius) from Carsington, for one day events does have it's appeal, especially if you are thinking of planning these one day'ers on a Saturday, not sure if this would be popular with everyone but for me it means that I am not arriving back home late on a Sunday evening then trying to prepare for work the following morning, what are the chances of tying these one day events into the middle of a bank holiday say early season, Easter / May day for instance, maybe the time remaining to organize is against us but food for thought in another year.

regards,

Ray.
Archive
Archive

2002 Events [Nick]

Post by Archive »

Nick replied:

Hi Bob
Just back from Aruba
Hope you had a good event last weekend
Very happy to tag a fun few days on to Whitstable Championships of fix that for the previous weekend. We have several worhwhile jaunts. Let me know which option seems preferable to you
eg. NW Thorpe Bay to visit the boys that usually come over here (15miles x 2)
eg. W Up the Medway to Haslstead where there is a good pub (12 miles x 2)
eg W Up the Swale to the Shiprights Inn by Faversham ( 3 miles x 2)
eg NWW Over to Shellness (2 miles x 2)
eg E Herne Bay ( 4 miles x 2)
Or various combinations of which an overnight stay at Thorpe Bay can surely be arranged chez our friends
If we did a round trip - WYC > Shellness > Thorpe Bay > Medway > Shipwrights > WYC over two days, we might well persuade our Essex friends to join in.
Regards
Nick Dewhirst
Archive
Archive

2002 Events (QMSC) [Charles]

Post by Archive »

Charles replied:

Hi Bob

Thanks very much for moving your open event date - But
10 Feb is now firmly in the schedule.

As for another event in the summer that would be great - when did you have in mind? May is sold out but June, July, August and September are mostly
free.

Best wishes

Charles
Archive
Archive

2002 Events (Blithfield) [Mick]

Post by Archive »

Mick replied:

Dear Bob,
Thanks for the note. I've passed the enquiry on to our commodore, as I'm not up to speed with who does what at Blithfield currently. I expect a pretty prompt reply and as soon as I have some news I'll let you know.
I should warn you that the turnout at the nationals from Blithfield was 2/3 of the available fleet. We do race, but not in class, and not with any regularity (as is perhaps evident from the nationals results).Personally, I would like to see an event such as you are proposing scheduled, if only to generate a bit of interest locally in the class.

I'm sure that you could count on one or two of us to turn out for the event and compete, but that would be the limit of our representation. Having said that, Blithfield regularly hosts open events during the summer season and everybody mucks in, irrespective of the class of boat that they normally sail, with the result that we usually put on a good event.

I'm sure that if the committee are interested in your proposal, you could guarantee a good outcome.

Best regards,

Mick
Archive
Archive

2002 Events [Phil]

Post by Archive »

Phil replied:

How about a one day event at calshot? Not too much of a disruption for everyone.I shall look into this if you like.ASP!
Not so good for northeners but would help IOW guys

Phil.
Archive
Archive

2002 events - stokes bay [Olly]

Post by Archive »

Olly replied:

Hello everyone

Sorry I didn't make it to Grafham at the weekend- hope you all had a good time.

In case Mike Rayden's e-mail yesterday didn't contain the attachment, here is the news about Stokes Bay Cat events next season:
The good news is that Stokes Bay will still be running a major event over the early June Queen's Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend- 1-3rd June. This event will be open to all cat classes and will be on the open meeting calendar of the F18s, and also we hope, Hobies, iF20s, Shearwaters and others. The event will also be open to dinghies, with separate starts and courses.
The event will consist of short course racing on the Saturday and Sunday, with fleet and SCHRS handicap racing depending on numbers and classes. On Monday 3rd will be the annual Stokes Bay Pursuit Race, which is a semi long distance race (16 miles) around the Eastern Solent.

Please can Class associations who intend to put this event onto their calendars please let us know as soon as possible.

As Tuesday 4th is also a bank holiday, a nice idea would be for those who want to stay to organise some informal sailing. This could take the form of training, fun racing, cruising to somewhere etc.. This will be a good opportunity for us to do something different to normal racing. Suggestions please.

Stokes Bay will also be running it's regular Catamaran Open Meeting on 14th/15th September 2002. We would welcome any catamaran association who would like a class start. Please contact us as soon as possible.

Further details on either of the above events from the club administrator, Debbie Woods on 02392 581513, or from me. Please can people use my home e-mail address: ollyandjudy@lineone.net
Archive
Archive

2002 Events [Gordon]

Post by Archive »

Gordon replied:

Hi Bob

Personally, I'm quite happy with a couple of 1 day events, as long as the travelling isn't too extreme. Say, no more than 2 hours each way.

I don't know where Blithfield or Draycote are. But other suitable places would probably be most south coast venues, and Marconi, Herne Bay etc

Would the results of a 1 day event count the same as a 2 day event?

Gordon