Dart 15 Rally - any interest? [Bob]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Dart 15 Rally - any interest? [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob wrote:

Dart 15 (Spark) Rally 2002

As next years Dart 15 Nationals Championships will be a 3 day hard racing event at Whitstable with little opportunity for the fun and family side of the class, several members have asked if we could have a fun weekend. This would not be a serious racing event but more an opportunity for messing about in Dart 15s at a pleasant seaside venue. I am happy to organise this if I can get sufficient interest. The venue would need to be a pleasant seaside town with a sandy beach, access to the water at all states of the tide, a friendly sailing club and preferably a local fleet of Dart 15s to help with the organisation. Henry Clark has already suggested Swanage and it does fit the bill rather well (the Clarks and the Littlejohns are based there). Other suggestions, however, would be welcome.
Ideas for the sort of programme we could arrange are as follows:
Saturday
a.m. Travel
11.00 Welcome & Briefing
12.00 Round the Cans
Two short races (light hearted) races around a small course in the bay to warm up with.
1.30 Lunch
3.00 Crews Race 1 followed by Crews Race 2
4.00 Fun sailing (mucking about in a Dart 15)
7.00 Treasure Hunt
Find out about Swanage by answering a series of cryptic clues as you walk about (kindly organised by the Littlejohns)
9.00 Fish & Chip Supper in the Club House

Sunday
10.00 Briefing
10.30 Sail to Studland Bay with rescue cover
11.30 Fun Sailing in Studland Bay
Rounders or Beach cricket for the energetic.
Picnic in Studland Bay
2.30 Sail back to Swanage
4.00 Tea in the Club / Wrap-up
4.30 Travel home

I have not spoken to Swanage SC but the likely cost would be ?20/boat and it would need 10 or so boats to make it worthwhile. Anyone interested please let me know and if there is enough interest I?ll try and set it up in the June/July period of 2002.

Cheers

Bob Carter
01438 354367

P.S. On floating this to a few of the sailors at the Nationals they thought Swanage was too far South. Any other ideas welcome.
Archive
Archive

Fun events [Nick]

Post by Archive »

Nick replied:

Hi Bob
We could do a fun week before the Nationals at Whitstable. This could contain
1. Cruise to Shipwrights Arms pub up Faversham Creek to the west
2. Cruise across to Shellness community at the tip of Isle of Sheppey to north west
3. Cruise east to Herne Bay
4. Day trip to France - The Calais to Boulogne coast is very nice and we might even arrange an exchange with a cat club there
If there is demand for that I can fix it
Archive
Archive

Dart 15 Cruise [Nick]

Post by Archive »

Nick replied:

D15 Cruise: The best UK venue would be Felixstowe Ferry - there are three rivers all of which are nice. We have old write up by someone who went up the Deben to a famous pub. While I like the idea, I never managed the enthusiasm to organise it and can't guess what the customer response would be.
Regards
Nick Dewhirst