The UK Dart 15 Association

More 15 vs 18 questions [Keith-fatbloke]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

More 15 vs 18 questions [Keith-fatbloke]

Post by Archive »

Keith-fatbloke wrote:

First of all, great website and congrats on the coverage you got in the current issue of Yachts and Yachting letters section. My first question is how much does a D15 weigh (is it really 100Kg?) ie how much lighter than a D18 is it?

Also, I fear I may be to heavy for a 15 at 15st+ so at what wind strength do the heavier helms begin to trapeze in when in sprint mode. I`ve sailed a D15, main only, in a force 3-4, which was quite managable, so does the addition of the jib make a lot of difference? Thanks.
Archive
Archive

More 15 vs 18 questions [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Keith,
15 stone is certainly the top end of Dart 15 helm weight. I did a reply on 13 Jan 01 on this chat page (page 5) summarising performance and weight of some of the top helms. We certainly have successful sailors at up to 14 stone. At 15 stone you will find you seldom need to go on the wire.
It might be worth considering a Dart 18 which can be sailed single handed or possibly an Inter 17 (which is currently very popular at Grafham) if you are not short of the readies.
I'm happy to hear any other advice from our heavier helms. Robin "the Gadget" from Stewartby must be that weight and goes well in a force 5-6 but is less good in F2-4. Any views Robin?
Cheers
Bob
Archive
Archive

Robin's Weight [Bob]

Post by Archive »

Bob replied:

Hi Keith, Robin tells me he is actually 17 stone and enjoys sailing his Dart 15. I suggest that you go for it and give Gordon Goldstone some company at Queen Mary.
Cheers
Bob