The UK Dart 15 Association

Nutters and bridle lengths [Pete]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Nutters and bridle lengths [Pete]

Post by Archive »

Pete wrote:

Those guys in the Rutland snow scene - nutters! Happy days eh?

Daydreaming about Dart 15's the other day (don't ask!) I got into a puzzle I don't have the brain power to resolve, and it's this. Putting aside class measurements, what's to be gained by lengthening, or shortening, the two bridle wires and at the same time adjusting the forestay length to retain the same "hypotenuse" length? Hobie 17's have immensely long bridles, I recall. I can see that if they're very short, there's going to be a permanent "toe-in" of the bows, but other than that, what creates the optimum bridle length?
Archive
Archive

Bridle wires [George]

Post by Archive »

George replied:

Hobie 17's don't normally have jibs though. Attaching the jib would be tricky if the bridle wires did not meet where you would like to attach the bottom of the jib.
Archive
Archive

Widle brires [Pete]

Post by Archive »

Pete replied:

Yes, that's true enough. I wonder if part of the equation is to simply halve the angle between the hounds and the bridle chain plates? Can't support this with any facts though. Somebody must know. Is there a chandler in the house?
Archive
Archive

Bridle Wires [Keith in Hong Kong (Singapore or whereve]

Post by Archive »

Keith in Hong Kong (Singapore or whereve replied:

Hmmmm....

Well I reckon its all to do with the optimum tack height for a jib, and the achievable sheet lead position for easy crewing....too high....too far back...

If no jib......sky's the limit.....look at the Vortex....no bridle just two forestays. Obviously the longer they are the less inward force on the bows....just up, which is easier to restrain on a deep/thin hull.....

But you're right....question must have been dreamt up whilst stood in the shower....

Keith