The UK Dart 15 Association

Battens for ?10 each - or even more! [Bob Carter]

Dart 15 Chat
Archive
Archive

Battens for ?10 each - or even more! [Bob Carter]

Post by Archive »

Bob Carter wrote:

I see the Laser Centre are selling Dart 18 battens (they are the same as Dart 15 battens) at the special price of ?10 each for the month of November in Dinghy Trader. Alternatively, if you are a reader of Yachts and Yachting you can buy a set of Dart 18 battens (9 battens) for ?100 (i.e. ?11.11 each) or a set of Dart 15 battens (7 battens)for ?100 (or ?14.29 each).
I suggest that anyone who wants to stock up with a batten or two for the winter becomes a Dinghy Trader reader and buys them at ?10 each - a good price.
Better still if several members club together to get a number and spilt the postage it is worth the trouble.
Cheers
Bob Carter
Archive
Archive

Who manufactures the Catbattens [Steve Sawford]

Post by Archive »

Steve Sawford replied:

I`ve been trying to find the manufactures of the CATBATTENS u.s.pat.4136630 (red/yellow).I belive that it is in the UK possibly by Whites/Panther craft.I also tried the US pat. office without success.
Can you help ?
Steve (Tiger Shark 1733)
Archive
Archive

Re: Who manufactures the Catbattens [Jonathan]

Post by Archive »

Jonathan replied:

Hi Steve,

The Canadian Dart Association recently had a reprint of a Dart 18 association article on how the Dart's are built:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~gloney/Darts/Da ... 99.htm#go4

It starts off talking about a visit to the Penryn factory, and includes the following:

"As well as hulls, rudder blades and battens are also produced on the Penryn site...... Battens have to be laminated by hand, because in order to achieve the exact balance between flexibility and strength, the resin content is absolutely critical. There are only three members of staff at Penryn with the necessary experience to produce Dart Battens!"

There is a postscript to the article:

"Post Script - From the Art of Dart Winter '99 - Finally the days of Dart building in Cornwall have come to an end, as Laser move their manufacturing closer to home. In a move to improve efficiency all hull manufacturing has been moved closer to Banbury. Dart hulls are now being made by one of the best catamaran builders around, Rob White. The manager from the old Penryn site is working closely with Rob to ensure continuity, and to pass those crucial rudder and batten making skills on to the new team. Obviously a change in manufacturer is a major step for any one-design class, so UKIDA and the Laser Centre will be working closely together over the next few months to ensure that the new hulls offer neither advantage or disadvantage over those built in Penryn."

Jonathan.