Tramp slider broken

Dart 15 Chat
Thierry Msika
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Tramp slider broken

Post by Thierry Msika »

Hello,

yesterday I broke 3 sliders. My trampoline has unfortunately been built the wrong way making it impossible to get tension across the boat. I replaced the original dacron lacing line with dyneema but wasn't too satisfied with the tension. I then replaced the lacing through individual dyneema ties with purchase (error). I recently increased the tension on the ties and was fairly happy with the result though the slides looked quite tortured. I am planning sometimes this winter to sew webbing loops underneath the tramp to install a transverse lacing to get some cross tension. My tramp is almost new and the time has not come yet to replace it.
Yesterday was a bit colder and the plastic might have been a bit brittle. While tacking I put my knee close to a slider and I broke the first one. I broke a second one a bit later although I tried to be careful. The 3rd one fractured but didn't break.
Are the sliders standard mainsail sliders? Are they available in metal, either aluminium or stainless? I don't like to see them working sideways and being bent. Thanks.

Cheers, Thierry
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tramp slider broken

Post by Liam »

This is what you need:
https://www.windsport.co.uk/product/tra ... ront-beam/

They are pretty strong but they don't last forever. I would recommend putting in twice as many as you actually need. Then when they break you can just put a spare one on without rethreading everything.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Thierry Msika
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Re: Tramp slider broken

Post by Thierry Msika »

Thanks for the tip Liam. I already ordered 5 so I will only have a couple of spares left of the middle one but they were easy to order and easy to remove from the beam.