The UK Dart 15 Association

2022 RYA Dinghy Show

Dart 15 Chat
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

2022 RYA Dinghy Show

Post by George Love »

The Class will be exhibiting at the 2022 RYA Dinghy Show. I understand that, barring tempest, flood and unexpected Covid restrictions, this year's show will be 'live' at the new venue of Farnborough Exhibition and Conference Centre.
I am informed by the RYA Show Team that tickets can now be purchased and our members can buy them at a 10% discount - see posting from Liam, our webmaster, on the home page of this website. Click on the banner, enter the promo code and it should all work.
Hope to see you there - fingers crossed.
Cheers
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Corky the Cat
Warrant Officer (Class One)

Re: 2022 RYA Dinghy Show

Post by Corky the Cat »

This is a surprise. I know Farnborough for two reasons. The air show and where Napoleon 3rd is buried.

Is the venue near a railway station?
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jenny Ball »

Lots of helpful info about visiting the Dinghy Show is up on the RYA Dinghy Show website.

See link here: https://www.rya.org.uk/events/dinghy-show/plan-your-day
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

Just to note - those who volunteer to help man the stand will receive a free ticket to the show :D
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

I can man the stand on the Saturday..
Mark Aldridge
Derik Palmer
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Derik Palmer »

I'm a complete newbie to the Sprint 15, but I'll be at the show on Sunday27th and having just bought 1342 I'd be happy to help man the stand if needed.
Sprint 1342 - 'Still Crazy'.
Merlin 3545 - 'Smooth Operator'.
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jenny Ball »

Thanks Mark and Derik. The volunteer listing is being worked on and someone will be in touch shortly!
Corky the Cat

Post by Corky the Cat »

There will need to be a lot of taxis at the stations.

When the show was held at the Ally Pally, there was a bus service (W3) from Wood Green. Will there be similar bus services from the Farnborough stations?
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jenny Ball »

Hi Charles

All the info on how to get to the Show is included in the RYA link I posted above. It will answer all your questions .....

Jenny
Corky the Cat

Post by Corky the Cat »

I reckon the move to Farnborough will be a flop. Certainly, it brings the show to nearer the RYA’s sphere of operations on the south coast. But will there be a reduced footfall?

Originally, the show at Alexandra Palace was for enthusiasts in class associations. Classes were put on show to entice sailors into the classes. But sadly, the RYA hijacked the agenda to push its own. They’re only interested in classes that lead to the Olympic ladder. They’re not really bothered about Albacores, Solos or Drascombe luggers.

The Farnborough show will be even more galling than before. The RYA presence will be more in-your-face this year. The show’s layout will ensure visitors pass through RYA lounges, before they get to the stands. You can expect to met by brainwashed youngsters in lurid T-shirts and sashes, handing out leaflets and taking your contact details. If you’re lucky, you might get a free pen.

I won’t be going.
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Corky,
Why not put your comments somewhere where the RYA will see them? How about the Y&Y forum?
Regards
Bob
Derik Palmer
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Derik Palmer »

Corky the Cat wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:55 am I reckon the move to Farnborough will be a flop. Certainly, it brings the show to nearer the RYA’s sphere of operations on the south coast. But will there be a reduced footfall?

Originally, the show at Alexandra Palace was for enthusiasts in class associations. Classes were put on show to entice sailors into the classes. But sadly, the RYA hijacked the agenda to push its own. They’re only interested in classes that lead to the Olympic ladder. They’re not really bothered about Albacores, Solos or Drascombe luggers.

The Farnborough show will be even more galling than before. The RYA presence will be more in-your-face this year. The show’s layout will ensure visitors pass through RYA lounges, before they get to the stands. You can expect to met by brainwashed youngsters in lurid T-shirts and sashes, handing out leaflets and taking your contact details. If you’re lucky, you might get a free pen.

I won’t be going.
Given my previous experience of a free RYA pen, its working life won't outlast the show.
Sprint 1342 - 'Still Crazy'.
Merlin 3545 - 'Smooth Operator'.
Corky the Cat

Post by Corky the Cat »

I received a free pen at the final ex-cel boat show in London’s Docklands. Presumably, I was expected to use it to write a cheque for a million pound motor boat.

There was hardly anyone around. Not even at the Guinness stand which is the usual place for friends to gather. There was nothing to interest me. Just endless rows of motor boats. But suddenly, I spotted a non-descript sailing cruiser which stuck out like a sore thumb. It was here that I met a fellow Sprint sailor who was at the show. So we had a brief chat. He pointed out that the cruiser had a broken rudder!

The free pen is still on my desk. I tried it this morning. As you correctly observed, Derick, it doesn’t work.