Cameras & GPS

Dart 15 Chat
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Cameras & GPS

Post by Charles »

Hi All

I've been sailing in the Yorkshire Dales SC Icicle series and having good fun with 20+ boats on the line, vying mostly with Musto Skiffs & Vortex's. They have a facebook page on which there has been a very interesting rules debate on rights rounding the windward buoy, of course I had to put my 2 pen'e'th in & no I wasn't involved in the incident!

The debate was very much helped by onboard video footage. While there isn't a nice convenient boom on our 15s to locate a camera, what does the class think about carrying cameras? There's no speed or tactical advantage, but under strict one design rules can they be fitted, however temporary? Personally I'd say yes as they could be worn & we have no rules on 'clothing'.

Second, the boat with the camera at YDSC also claimed he could prove overlap in the zone as he had GPS too. I seem to remember a discussion with Bob, many moons ago, in which it was agreed that a tactic compass could not be fitted to the boat, but as GPS watches come down in price, small boat tactical functionality improves & the class does not have a specific exclusion are they acceptable?

P.S. there are 2 other Sprints at YDSC, bought in the last few months from Grafham & Felixstowe I think.

P.P.S. my summer sailing is still at Halifax
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Gordon
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Re: Cameras & GPS

Post by Gordon »

Hi Charles

When are we going to see you back on the circuit?

We're missing your Northern competitive spirit.

Gordon
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Charles,
Good to hear from you and good also to hear that YDSC is collecting a small fleet of Sprint 15s. We need more Clubs up North :wink:
It sounds like they are recent acquisitions - are they sailing them yet?

On the technical questions you raise you are right that as a one design fitting of cameras & gps to the boat are not permitted under the current rules. On the helmsman would be OK. The underlying ideas which govern our management of the one design rules are that any change should be inexpensive and should not make the boat appreciably faster. I cannot see that either of these makes the boat any faster, in fact the added weight must slow the boat down if anything so if you (or anyone) wants to propose that they be allowed as optional equipment at the next AGM it would stand a good chance of getting approved in my view.

Cheers
Bob
PS I know that cameras have been used on boats in our fleet. No one has protested and I doubt that anyone would as there is no speed benefit

PPS George currently sails Albacores in Canada and they allow electronic compasses and wind indicators. George has a Tack-tic which tells you when to tack when you are getting headed. These would have no chance of being allowed on our one design Sprint 15 as they are expensive AND potentially make the boat much quicker in a racing situation.
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Steve Willis »

I bought a cheap waterproof camera off e-bay last year and it is excellent.
Like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-Water ... 43c6b33947

There are better ones now at the same sort of price.

Came with a head strap, handlebar mount and some Velcro straps so can be used in many locations. It is about 100mm long and 45mm diameter. It uses an SD card and two AA batteries. Records in 15min files continuously, switched it on when going afloat and had 1 1/2 hours of video on return. No onboard screen buts downloads straight to PC (records either HD 720P or VGA)

I Velcro strapped it to the bridle facing backwards last year with two of the granddaughters on board and got some very good shots of synchronised crew movement with two on one side and one on the other of my 15. I am going to try it fixed to one of the bridle plates next time so it is below the sail.

No racing benefit - unless it sees an infringement (like car dash cams - but fun and possibly good for training.
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Hi Gordon, I'm afraid my Principal role at HxSC blows out at least a weekend a month and other commitments mean I'm not likely to get to an event this year I'm afraid. On the up side I'm almost finished renovating 1075 as a training and hire boat at HxSC and we have 10 boats here, though we are loosing Andy Smith to Carsington.

Hi Bob, more toys for George to play with should keep him out of trouble! I probably won't be at the AGM for the same reasons as above. The YDSC Sprinters are cruising on a Saturday and starting to race on a Sunday. Both are experienced and I hope will try some TT events.

Fair winds.
Charles
1237, Sticks and Stones
1942, Ingrid
Yorkshire Dales SC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)