The UK Dart 15 Association

National Championship

Dart 15 Chat
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: National Championship

Post by Steve Willis »

I believe all the SSC contingent are driving (mostly doubled up) and arriving Friday or early Saturday. Several did a recce to Southend by water from SSC on Thursday - and returned via Gillingham (11 hours and a couple of inversions..........). Nice row of packed trailers in the field after yesterday's tweaking session.
moreair
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by moreair »

There will be catering onsite at Thorpe Bay throughout the weekend, generally from the chefs normal menu. Sunday Night is however the Sprint 15 Association Dinner which will have us all seated in a formal way although I believe Smart Casual is the accepted dress code (that was a bit of luck, because where would you pack a DJ). This has already been paid for in your entry, unless you have purchased extra seats/meals. To allow multiple choices of dishes to be catered for you will be asked during registration to pick what you would like served for Sunday. So you can have a think about it now, here it is:

Starters
Smoked Salmon with cream cheese croute
Or
Mushroom pate and melba toast. (v)

Main
Slow Roasted belly Pork with garlic mash and a medley of vegetables
Or
Spinach and ricotta vegetable pie with new potatoes. (v)

Dessert
Strawberry pavalova

If you have any problems with anything above please advise the chef sometime after arrival.

Paul Morgan (Joint TBYC Sprint 15 Captain)
Paul - Sprint 1954
moreair

Post by moreair »

We have arranged entertainment for both Saturday and Sunday night (and I mean not just the AGM).

Both nights it will be starting around 8:30. Sunday Night it will be following the Sprint 15 Association Dinner.

Saturday - Martin McNeill’s Bottleneck Blues
Martin McNeill and his band are local and regularly play at pubs/concerts etc in Essex. On Saturday night he will play for us as a trio supported by a JJ Zarbo on the double base and a drummer. When possible they are supported by West Weston singer/harmonic player extraordinaire. They can be appreciated every 3rd Sunday at the Railway, Southend.

Sunday – Darren Jones – Acoustic Guitarist
Darren Jones…’The Kid From Canvey’ due to play live at Thorpe Bay Yacht Club. “An upcoming artist with a talent which will charm you to just want more from him. His amazing acoustic sound, quick ‘Clint Eastwood’ like hands, and beautiful lyrics set him aside from the rest. He plays original songs of his own, and loves to cover classic songs from all eras in his own style.”

Paul - Sprint 1954
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

moreair wrote:We have arranged entertainment for both Saturday and Sunday night (and I mean not just the AGM).

Both nights it will be starting around 8:30. Sunday Night it will be following the Sprint 15 Association Dinner.

Hi Paul,
Well done.
Does that mean that Andrew Hannah's guitar is safely locked away? :wink:
Cheers
Bob
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Paul,
Have you decided who will do the Race Report yet?
It is usually a local and it works much better if you ask the person and get him/her to agree to do it before the event starts.
That way he/she is on the look out for things to report during the event and a much better report results. :D
Just a thought.
Cheers
Bob
PS Will there be anyone on the water taking pictures? If there is not a professional photographer at the event it is good if someone on a rescue boat can take some shots. :D
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Bob Carter wrote:Hi Paul,
Bob
PS Will there be anyone on the water taking pictures? If there is not a professional photographer at the event it is good if someone on a rescue boat can take some shots. :D
Alan will be about if you haven't got a pro-photographer and would, I am sure, be delighted to help if needed. You would also get to see the pictures without paying £50 each for them.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
moreair

Post by moreair »

I was hoping that Andrew was going to comment if he had locked his guitar away, but we haven't seen it for a while.

We have a couple of photographers at the club who will be doing it over the weekend. Linzi will be about Monday, she did the shot from last years TBYC Open (still available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/96697991@ ... 615358568/. Always good to have plenty of photos, so if Alan hunts me down on one of the mornings, I am sure I can get him on one of the many Ribs.

I was thinking of those that had previously put race reports in, but Andrew has just mentioned a reasonably new fleet member that maybe the ideal person to write the report. I will have a chat with him.

Paul
Paul - Sprint 1954
moreair

Post by moreair »

Anybody that isn't already registered should really think about coming. The Open last year suggested light winds, which later turned into very good sailing. Weather is always guaranteed to change. Our entertainment off the water will if anything improve the days sailing (good or bad).

If you are at Thorpe Bay 07:30 on Saturday then you will get the opportunity to see the Round the World Clippers that will be parading before heading passed the pier to Londons St Katherines Dock. These clippers have been going around the globe since September last year, we watched them leave.

I can't say I arranged that.

Paul
Paul - Sprint 1954
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Is it ok to arrive at anytime on friday? We are camping at the club.

Thanks
Andy
Dart 15, 1899 , Stewartby SC
Duncan Ford

Post by Duncan Ford »

Hi Andy

Paul is the guru but may not be seeing the messages this morning as Brian is doing a training session here today, but he will correct me if I am wrong. The camping is already available, I believe. On the grass areas next to the boat park. Best to ask someone re exact siting of tent/ camper before settling in. We are about today and from early tomorrow.

Andrew's guitar has not been seen for a while now, but I am sure he will give a rendition if asked. Perhaps 03.30 Sunday morning would be a good time?!

Paul mentioned the wind. It is rare for us not to have a good sea breeze here, whatever the forecast says. 20 degrees plus on all three days forecast with sun/rain showers on Sunday should make for that and for wind under the shower clouds.

Kevin, haven't seen your entry yet!

Regards

Duncan Ford 1973
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

But Catherine Farthing has entered. Yey! :D
Robert England
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Got a few domestic items to cover, then I'm on my way :D :D :D
Robert England
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

The editor's moll has her camera packed and ready to go. Just looking for a handsome RIB driver to take her on the water. :P
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

Duncan. My entry is in my pocket and will be in when I get to the club this afternoon! :)
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

A couple more from Thorpe Bay are in the offing.

If you haven't already entered, it is perfectly acceptable to enter 'on the day': Saturday morning. See notice of race.

We are very pleased how well this championship is being supported!
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...