The UK Dart 15 Association

Mylor, Falmouth for 2015 Nationals

Dart 15 Chat
ray.gall
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mylor, Falmouth for 2015 Nationals

Post by ray.gall »

After the Pentewan Nationals I took time out to visit Brian at Windsport International, Mylor, Falmouth, actually mixing leisure with a secret scouting mission to reconnoitre the joint for a potential new venue for a Sprint 15 Nationals……...I should say at this point Brian was unaware of my motives for the visit and I thank him for the extensive guided tour of the Windsport facility.

I should also state that I know Brian has never been keen to promote Mylor as a potential venue as he doesn’t want to detract from our constant desire to visit our West Country National venue home of choice Pentewan (this I believe will never change), which I hope we will re-visit again in 2017. Personally I see Mylor as another National venue in the West Country and not instead of Pentewan but as an additional venue and somewhere new offering an alternative package for the whole Sprint 15 family and not just the sailing combatants.

So what does Mylor offer: in no particular order

Sailing area is huge and unlikely to be affected by adverse weather, we sailors would enjoy the benefits of one of the largest and most sheltered natural harbours in the UK

Launch & recovery of our S15s would be easy with potential to store boats on the pebble foreshore over- night (tidal cycle allowing) the sailing area is also stunningly beautiful, situated at the mouth of the River Fal

There is an enormous expanse of field/s adjacent the sea for all of our Sprint 15s, trailers / cars etc, space will not be an issue at this venue

There is also space that Brian could put aside for those wishing to camp on site, again this area is also large enough to tender for our needs

In the local area their are many houses and holiday cottages that are available for seasonal hire

Restronguet Sailing Club is situated immediately adjacent Windsport International who could host championship and of course have all of their facilities available to us during the course of the meeting

There are many destinations to leisure sail and explore with the family after the championships

Outside Restronguet Sailing Club on the pontoon / moorings there are many different types of boats to hire including including motor boats for those wishing to "chug chug" rather than sail and explore the local creeks and beauty spots

Brian also so has a number of land yachts for thrill seekers that we could use as an alternative to our much loved Go-Kart competitions

Well, I am sold on the venue, and can see that we ought to give Mylor some serious consideration for 2015?
I appreciate Mylor, Falmouth is a long way, but for me, once I have packed my boat on the trailor it makes no difference whether I travel two hours or six, what is important is sailing with my sailing chums, having a great championship, at a fantastic location and for the family to also enjoy.

Yahoo!
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Mylor, Falmouth for 2015 Nationals

Post by Robert »

Gets my vote. Have sailed in Carrick Roads and ventured upriver - it's beautiful, well worth the journey.
Robert England
George Wood
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by George Wood »

Hi Ray,

Gets my vote also. We always include a visit to Mylor/St Mawes whilst at Pentewen and we stayed at Brians B&B may years ago.

It would probably add 30 - 45 mins to the journey.

I am sure Brian would do all he could to support a Nationals there.

PS sorry I could not make Carsington this year.

George
Gabriel
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Gabriel »

I would definitely make the trip over for that!
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

I think Ray has said it all and it gets my vote.
After Pentewan this year, Pauline and I spent a week in a rented cottage near Windsport. We visited Brian and he gave us the grand tour of the facilities - my first visit to Windsport. I was mightily impressed. Preparations were being made at the time for the "Little Americas Cup" which some may have been following on the web in the last couple of weeks. I also had a test sail of a new S15 which gave me the chance to try the water. It is a great place to sail and could easily accommodate a big fleet and the weather would have to be very extreme to prevent racing. There's loads of places to stay all close to the venue (including the on-site camping) and so much to do and see in and around the area for the non-sailing members. Restronguet SC has great facilities.
Like Ray (and Brian) I wouldn't see it as an alternative to Pentewan but as another superb venue. And if I'm going for a week, it doesn't matter that it's a fair journey. It's only another half hour further than Pentewan and worth it for such a great place to sail.
2015? 8)
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019