The UK Dart 15 Association

Newsprint Autumn 2012

Dart 15 Chat
Duncan Ford
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Newsprint Autumn 2012

Post by Duncan Ford »

Just finished reading the latest mag on a damp increasingly windy morning in Thorpe Bay. Well done George. So much work must be involved! Particularly enjoyed the Alderney and Nore Race articles.

Robert, I see you had difficulty getting back on after your Nore capsize. You say one of your cats had a righting line round the mast. One idea you might add to your "afterthoughts" is to tie knots for grip and, particularly, a foot loop or two in that righting line. Footloops make getting back on much easier when you are tired!

The Mulberries you mention is a wrecked Mulberry Harbour off Thorpe Bay which was being towed to Normandy after the D-Day Landings. It went adrift and broke its back on the sands. You can walk to it at low tide and, if the wind is right, sail between the two halves with about 18ins to spare either side!

Duncan Ford 1973
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Newsprint Autumn 2012

Post by Robert »

Hi Duncan
Decided to give sailing between the Mulberry bits a miss on the day (too scared to go near). Both cats had righting lines around the mast (just an afterthought to tie one on Andy's because he hadn't raced a cat before and it was a bit breezy. He is a bit younger and fitter than I but didn't mention if he used his - I guess he did.

Can't remember why I untied the knots in my righting line but it might have been to make it easier to take around the boat to use from different angles without it being caught up anywhere. When I used loops I had them attached to the righting line and adjustable in height. Somehow I always ended up trying to use them from between the hulls, in front of the front beam (because that was where I was). The end result was always, particularly if the boat had any forward motion, to end up with my legs uselessly underneath the tramp as I pushed.

I have a method of getting hold of the trapeze handle when in sport mode but this is still a struggle and I've been successful only once in getting aboard thus. So I am left reconsidering your suggestion but having toe loops at a height where they would be useful when the righting line is dangling over the hull on the windward side. This way the hull side should act to brace the lifting leg against. With one or two knots between the mast base and the edge of the deck I might be able to get high enough to grab the toe strap when mounting in front of the shroud. (Or am I supposed to slip my foot in the loop as the boat comes up and come in over the new, leeward side? :? )

In the meantime, I still have the old fashioned in-beam righting line. This is pretty useless (I understand) as a righting line per se but could be used to form a loop between the end of the beam and the shroud base to put a foot in. It would also be easily height-adjustable in use and presumably class legal.

Other than this, Erling's method is best - DON'T CAPSIZE!
Robert England
Duncan Ford

Post by Duncan Ford »

Hi Robert

Yes, Erling's "stay upright" method is best!

Surely you are usually going to be between the hulls at the front beam when the boat comes upright as holding the beam here stops a further capsize? It should also anchor the boat into the wind and stop any forward movement.

The in-beam righting line is particularly useless for me as I can't reach it!

Regards

Duncan Ford 1973
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Ha Ha! I'll be anywhere I can get to if I think I might get on board. I can reach the righting line when in the water and the boat is upright. I'm interested in getting my foot in it primarily. What fun there is after capsizing.
:lol:
Robert England