The UK Dart 15 Association

Carsington v Draycote, Winter 2008/9

Dart 15 Chat
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Carsington v Draycote, Winter 2008/9

Post by Robert »

Great fun seems to have been enjoyed by those of us swept up in the Midlands inter-club derby this winter between Draycote and Carsington Sprint 15 sailors. The key fixtures were at Carsington, Draycote and Grafham. Draycote appeared to have the upper hand at the Carsington event whilst Carsington hit back soundly at the Draycote meeting. As Queen Mary was cancelled due to lack of wind (despite one of the teams turning up just in case) it fell to the final event at Grafham to decide the issue, contrary to what was reported in Yachts and Yachting last month.

On first inspection it appeared that Ed Tuite-Dalton's very impressive performance yesterday could have swung it for Draycote. He was a long way ahead of the rest of the protagonists and you would think that his team's position would be unassailable. This informal competition is about teams, however, and especially their positions in relation to each other.

As my good friend Derek said to me recently, "..the rules weren't written down..." - and he's right. That's what makes the deciding of the result such fun. I haven't yet analysed yesterday's event that closely on the basis of overall points scored by one team v. points scored by the other. I'm not sure I really want to, especially as Ray Gall's result was calculated on the basis of a PY of 916 (Whoops! Should have been 883 as he was sailing sport rig) :oops:

Carsington may have won the day because, in relation to just the Carsington and Draycote teams, Ed beat everyone. George came next, followed by yours truly and Ray came somewhere after me but we don't know where until Bob has re-worked his score. Next came Pete and Jan but we don't know yet if one or both beat Ray. That's three results from each side on the day, so let's add up the worst case scenario for Carsington:

Ed 1 point; Pete 4 points; Jan 5 points equals 10 points for Draycote :).

George 2 points; Robert 3 points and Ray possibly 6 points giving 11 points at worst for Carsington at Grafham :( .

If, on the re-worked scores (PY 883 for Ray instead of 916), Jan beat Ray then Draycote won. If Ray beat Jan the positions would be reversed.

It's all down to Bob Carter who has the information we need to decide this vital issue! :?: :?: :?:
ray.gall
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Carsington v Draycote Winter 2008/9

Post by ray.gall »

Before the final result is announced and gloating begins :P would really just like to say on record that the inter club challenge as been brilliant on and off the water, some serious thought / humour / banter on the chat page and great camaraderie.

Team Draycote must be congratulated as a club they were not on the Sprint 15 scene a few years ago and now they are not only travelling to events in numbers but are now very competitive, must take time to congratulate Ed who sailed magnificently at Grafham.

Team Draycote Sprint 15 numbers are rising and look forward to your continued success.

Back to business, c'mon Bob who won? :twisted:
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

It's great to see a burgeoning fleet, as Draycote unquestionably is. We should note what they are doing, and replicate with our own fleets.

In the last edition of NewSprint, there is an article on how to grow your fleet. It might be worthwhile reading it again. Here are some of the points:

1) Take charge of the club notice board, and place all Sprint news at eye level. Remember: nothing is ever sold from the bottom shelf.

2) Volunteer for your sailing committee. This brings you close to your sailing membership.

3) Offer to run your boat park. Members will approach you for advice, thereby presenting an opportunity to promote the Sprints. Nick Dewhirst at Whitstable, Keith Bartlett at Angmering, and myself at Thorpe Bay, all do this.

Andrew.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Well done Andrew,
Carsington even add in illicit members, otherwise Draycote might be regarded as the winners of this match :lol:
Cheers
Bob
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

BLOODY CHEEK!

Post by Robert »

:lol: Steady on Bob! Whilst I appreciate the excitement of being an illicit member, I would be sad if the efforts of others who are not fortunate enough to live near a sailing club were to be devalued. I'm sure I can't be the only one. I did take the precaution of changing my "Location" in the panel on the left in anticipation of your post, but perhaps you didn't notice...

You are forgiven for not getting the results right first time. It is easy not to notice a Sport Rig boat entering a competition. :lol:
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Grafham Winter TT results updated

Post by Martin Searle »

Folks,

I have updated the results of the Grafham TT with the latest ones from the Grafham website after Bob got them recalculated. Bad news for Ray he dropped from 16th Overall to 23rd.

The overall series results have also been updated with the new positions + rankings updated etc.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Doh!

Post by Robert »

:cry: I think that clinches it then - well done Draycote!
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

WELL SAILED TEAM DRAYCOTE!! :roll: Notice the loud voice as opposed to a whisper. We guys at Carsington accept we're beaten - this time!! Next year, roll on next year. I also seem to recall a late addendum to the rules which stated that the winners buy the beers - I'm sure you all remember.
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Jan
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Jan »

Not sure I remember that rule change George but dont worry, I will buy Ray at beer at least!!!

It was great fun this series and I will make more effort to get to Stewarty next year.

I think the rest of the Draycote fleet need a bit of coaching of Ed!!!

We met a new member at Graffham [chap called Phil? ] and all we need to do is find him a space in the boat park, which is becoming an issue generally at Draycote, but in particular for us Sprint 15 and cat sailors.

Andrew Hannahs suggestions are great and I will certainly put the events on the noticeboard. We already have Graham Collet on the sailingf committee.

Jan
Jan
Sprint 15 2030
Derek James
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Derek James »

Boy's - what can I say but "Whoooo!!!!!!!!!!!" I was slightly nervous that we may have blown it with our poor performance at Draycote but it looks as if we just stole it at Grafham . I feel a beer or two coming on . I must agree that the off water banter has been almost as good as the sailing . The chat room debate after the Draycote meeting "Frozen fruit " is one of the funiest threads I have read :lol: I would like to congratulate our club champ Ed and thank Carsington for the "added" competition through the winter TT series . I for one really enjoy the back to back , Saturday racing format and look forward to next winter series . Hopefully see you all at Instowe . I feel an award coming on for the worthy runners up - Carsington - now what could it be ?????????
Congratulations Robert , 1st in the Sport fleet winter competition :!: Well done mate and will we see you defending your title at Instowe :?:
Derek ( Dray cat ) Sprint 1744