The UK Dart 15 Association

The worm has turned

Dart 15 Chat
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

The worm has turned

Post by Bob Carter »

I hear that Grafham sailor, Mark Aldridge, has sold his Shadow and bought another Sprint 15. :lol: Wife Anna (and family, Abby & Jacob) are delighted because it means they can come to our National Championships at Thorpe Bay. Since Mark sold his last Sprint 15 (#1966) he has had a Laser 2000 and a Shadow but their events are not so good for the families, evidently. If Mark lets Jacob sail the Sprint 15 I reckon Mark could be soon be playing second fiddle. :wink:
I now need to work on Mark* to do the Go-Kart races - as the Grafham team so far has been crap at the Go-Karts. All my efforts to draft in better younger guys to the Go-Kart team have failed so far. Last year we were a bit better with George (Carter) & Steve & Christine Petts taking part but there was great hilarity in the camp when Christine beat Steve in one race. The previous year I had great hopes when Keith Ball agreed to give it a go, but it turned out that his arms ached so much after sailing that he went home instead. :roll: Expressions like "big girls blouse" come to mind but he is fitter this year, I'm told. Erling does not seem to have this problem!!!
Cheers
Bob
*Mark is a serious car & motor bike racer. :P
Erling
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Erling »

Last year at the Dinghy show when he was on the Shadow stand he had to keep coming over to see all of us and you could see that look in his eyes. Talking about old friends, would you believe Robin Leather has asked to come up in my car on Saturday.
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

Well I can't make the show this year, as I'm doing the Dart deal on Saturday and busy on Sunday - So you'll not see my eyes this time!

Looking forward to sailing with you again Erling (Anna's looking forward to catching up with the IOW crew too!) - apparently you're more svelt like now! So says the current Heavyweight champ....
Mark Aldridge
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

Thanks Bob

Looking forward to learning the Dart ropes again and having some regular competition to follow around the big G.

...forgot to say that I'm on for the karting too!

Does Steve S sail under the GWSC banner as I'm sure he'd be pretty quick.. He certainly went well (forwards, sidewards and backwards) in my kit car on track a few years ago..
Mark Aldridge
Gordon
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Gordon »

That's good news.
I'm delighted to have Mark back with us.

Heavy weight champ?
I think Anna feeds him too well!

Gordon
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

Hello Gordon.

What's the weight limit for the Heavyweight?

See you at the Grafham TT... Anna's away at a wedding that weekend so you'll have to catch her another time.
Mark Aldridge
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Yes - you have to be heavier than Chairman, Nick Dewhirst.
At last reckoning this was 95Kg, so that is what it will be this year.
Cheers
Bob
Frank
Grub Guru
Grub Guru

Post by Frank »

Is it true that Mark's had more boats than Aristotelis Onasis ! :D
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

...more catamarans perhaps!

Dart 15 #1522 now cleaned up and nearly ready to go, just need to change the sheets..

I'm amazed just how good the gelcoat looks after all these years, let's hope it's a quick 'un.
Mark Aldridge
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Heavyweights

Post by Robert »

Bob Carter wrote:Yes - you have to be heavier than Chairman, Nick Dewhirst.
At last reckoning this was 95Kg, so that is what it will be this year.
Cheers
Bob
Er - in what state of undress (or otherwise) would this be for those of us on the borderline? Should I eat chips or salad? On the subject of pie-eaters I hope that Frank won't overtake me quite so closely to windward this year and kick sand in my face like he did at Saundersfoot! :evil:
Robert England
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Welcome back, Mark. I have met you only once, and that was at the Whitstable fun events a few years ago. It was quite a sleigh ride to Herne Bay, if you remember.

Earlier today, I attended the dinghy and cat show in London. The Galls' informed me that son, Jacob, is ready to grab the tiller for himself and leave his dad with the trolley! Is that true, Mark?

Andrew,
TBYC.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

Andrew

Remember it well..

Yes, Jacob is keen to start cat' sailing with the Dart so I reckon he'll want to change his Laser later in the year..
Mark Aldridge