The UK Dart 15 Association

Sprint 15 Traveller / Southern Championship 23/24 th June

Dart 15 Chat
Keith Bartlett
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Sprint 15 Traveller / Southern Championship 23/24 th June

Post by Keith Bartlett »

Hey, its almost summer time, so why dont you think about coming down to the Open Dinghy Club over the w/end of 23/24th June for the Sprint 15 Southern Championships. I know its only 1 week after the Sport Nationals on the IOW, but I'm sure you can all find suitable excuses to placate wives/partners. The full details of the event together with sailing timetable and Sailing instructions will be up on the website very shortly.Saturday briefing will be at 10.30am, so you dont need to get out of bed at the crack of dawn.

Anyone who is going to the Sport event on the IOW the previous w/end, and who doesnt want to trail their boat all the way back home, only to return for the ODC event should contact me ( Keith Bartlett on 01243 778087). We can offer the option of leaving your boat in the locked ODC compound, or in my back garden in Chichester- about 20 mins from the IOW ferries into Portsmouth, and about 25 mins from ODC. Whichever option you would like, can you phone me to make firm arrangements.

I hope to see you at ODC.

Cheers

Keith Bartlett "FREDDIE" 1962
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Sprint 15 Traveller / Southern Championship 23/24 th Jun

Post by Robert »

Keith Bartlett wrote:... but I'm sure you can all find suitable excuses to placate wives/partners...
Could you elaborate on this a little for me please? (Looks like a very attractive event and I'll try and work out the best excuse I can. Fingers crossed!)

Robert :)
Robert England
Gordon
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Gordon »

Thanks for the update Keith.

I'll be back from my holiday just in time, and I'll definitely be there.
I've always enjoyed this event, it's in a nice part of the world and it's a lovely place to sail.
I can recommend it.

ps. Would be nice to see some of those Grafham's on the water again, missed you all at Thorpe Bay.

Regards
Gordon
Keith Bartlett
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Keith Bartlett »

A few more details on the event to try and tempt the Grafham guys down to the sunny south.

A free BBQ for Saturday evening is included in your 10 pounds entry fee- (but you will need to bring your own booze, as we are not allowed to sell alcohol on the club premises)

Al fresco camping is available in the dinghy park- space is limited so might be a good idea to ring me first to check.

If you havent been to ODC before you dont know what you are missing.

cheers

Keith "FREDDIE" 1962
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Southern Championships

Post by Robert »

Sounds very enticing Keith.

Robert.
Robert England
Frank
Grub Guru
Grub Guru

Post by Frank »

Hi Keith,

You can count me in, had a great time last year.

I’ll put a post on the Grafham website, see if we can tempt a few.

Frank (Cat Face) 1986
cedric
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by cedric »

I am hoping that I will be able to come along to the Southern champs, having just bought a Dart 15 it will be good to see how other boats are set up. As a complete beginner in cats it will probably cheer others up to have someone they are certain to beat as I bring up the rear.
Looking at the event details there appears to be a ProAm race, which must be very short as it starts at 10 with the main race at 10.30 but I don't really understand what this is. Looking through other posts would suggest pairing up is that correct?
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Pro_Am races at Travellers Events

Post by George Stephen »

Based on 1st day results, boats are matched off in pairs, 1st and last, 2nd and 2nd last etc, with the higher ranked boat being the Pro. The Pro advises the Am on rigging, etc, and how to get the best out of his boat - some of this may be on the 1st night, some (aften only!) on the 2nd morning. The race is for AMs, and the Pros participate by sailing close to their Am (but clearly not so as to impede their progress!) and yelling instructions, tips and what have you; the race doesn't count for the Traveller result.

I've watched some Ams make obvious significant improvement in their boat speed and tactics, especially if they are "new", improvements which mostly held good in the subsequent Traveller races. The grins on their faces afterwards when they know they're sailing better are great!!!!

Try to go to ODC if you can, and pester your Pro (Ican say this as I'm still not well enough to sail.
George 1594
Frank
Grub Guru
Grub Guru

Post by Frank »

Thanks to all connected with ODC for a great weekend despite the weather.
Well done to Keith, Alan and co not to mention Vic (Commodore) & Terry on the BBQ.

Also well done to Kevin not so much on winning but on putting so much grub away at the barby !!!
cedric
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by cedric »

Just to add my thanks for a very enjoyable introduction to the Dart world and thanks to everyone who helped with all the advice, greatly appreciated.
Keith
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Many thanks ODC

Post by Keith »

Many thanks to Keith and the team for a really good event in tricky conditions.

Big thanks to Alan for putting us all up- and for believing that Gordon really is house trained.

Man of the weekend was definitely Cedric for choosing those conditions for his third sprint 15 sail - great self recovery from the un-timely dunk!

Keith 1840