The UK Dart 15 Association

Dart 15 Boat Database
edchris177
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by edchris177 »

This boat was brought over to Canada when the owner Paul Ruddock immigrated to Canada, I bought it privately the summer of 2017.
The sail shown is a spare the previous owner purchased from a chap near Newcastle.
i wanted a small performance Cat that was easy to launch, easy to right, as it will be sailed solo, with jib & trapeze.
I keep it at my summer home on Lake Simcoe, Ontario, Canada.
The lake is large, 50km x 40km, & can be obscenely rough during high winds. I'm on a protected bay, with smoother water, & have a Hobie 18 Magnum, & a Nacra 5.7 for the rougher conditions.
I don't have access to organized racing, as found in the UK, we are mostly recreational sailors who blast around the lake for fun
Attachments
IMG_5770 email.jpg
IMG_5770 email.jpg (189.17 KiB) Viewed 7533 times
Last edited by edchris177 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Georgecart
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Re: 1461

Post by Georgecart »

Hi Chris,

Do you live in the GTA? The Sprint 15 mast should be set up to be perpendicular to the boat, i.e. vertical or very slightly forward. The rigging is typically looser than other cats, so that you can easily move the mast to around 80 deg, then with a little effort you should be able to rotate it to 90 degrees on the land with no sail on the mast as the rigging tightens. Then you are in the right ballpark and the mast should rotate as it needs to in most wind conditions.

George
edchris177
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Re: 1461

Post by edchris177 »

Thanks George, that helps me immensely. I'm used to running a fairly tight rig. We run some rake, & quite a bit on the N5.0, as we sail it in quite big waves at times, it pretty much prevents any threat of pitchpole, unless you really try!
I found the short bit of wire that goes at the top, I'll insert it & remove the 10 hole adjuster at the furler.
I was thinking the fitting at the mast hound,(quite clever for those who need to break things down to cartop), by sticking forward an inch or so, created a lever that wanted to rotate the mast. I had attached the swivel to this fitting,(only having the somewhat dated Assembly manual). I'll insert the short wire as I've seen after perusing pages of photos from the Shanklin club website. It looked like they mostly use very little to no rake, I was surprised to read you actually use a bit of forward lean.
Measuring from mast to traveller rail, I was at 22' 3".
I live north of the GTA, & have a summer home on lake Simcoe. We store the Cats fully rigged all season,(except for mainsail), on modified SeaDoo lifts.
If any of you folks are over here during the season, shoot ma a line, I have beds, & 3 fully rigged Cats. It would be great to have someone who really knows the Dart show me a few things.
There are two gentlemen about a mile around the corner who said they raced together in the UK for 30 years. One has an H16, the other a Dart 18. I gave them my Nacra 5.7 (19') one day in a good blow & they were quite impressed, at both the speed & how well it parted the seas.
edchris177
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Re: 1640

Post by edchris177 »

Firstly, let me thank those who proposed that NEWSPRINT be stored as PDF, in the public domain, with the stated goal of helping other 15 owners.
Had I not had access to this great publication, I likely would never have discovered the sail # discrepancy. In addition, there is a wealth of information, rudders, mast heel plate etc that just are not available elsewhere. Kudos to those who pushed for the magazine to be public.
After spending some time reading through back issues of NEWSPRINT, I came across the history of my boat, & have amended the title to reflect the correct sail number. Apologies to the real owner of 1460. I had a dyslexic moment, thinking they were the same sail #, my excuse is the pouring rain when I picked it up, didn't spend much time looking. Good news is my boat is now 2 years newer! Plus this sail is in like new condition.
While perusing the Autumn 2015 issue,(Ed. George Love), I came across an expats article, "More From Across the Pond", sandwiched between Day 1 & Day 2 of Mascots Nationals. (Pg 20). Now I know how the boat came to Canada, & the correct sail #.
https://www.sprint15.com/members/newsle ... n-2015.pdf
A little sleuthing allowed me to find out Paul is still alive & well in Canada. I'm trying to persuade him to come up to my summer place & sail his old boat again.
Attachments
IMG_5788email.jpg
IMG_5788email.jpg (141 KiB) Viewed 7437 times