Help please

Dart 15 Chat
Keith Bartlett
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Help please

Post by Keith Bartlett »

Hi folks, I need some help/ advice.

Our club, at Bognor Regis is tidying up its boat park and have decided to get rid of an old Prindle 15 cat, which appears to have all the kit still intact. I seem to have been fingered to sell this. So, I'm looking for any pointers on whether these boats are still actively sailed.
From the SCHRS tables its on a par with a Sport mode 15.

It appears to have a tall mast and is quite heavy, so as its a singlehander I'm wondering whether it can be righted by one person?

Any comments gladly received, before i put it up on Apollo Duck.

Cheers Keith FREDDIE 1962
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help please

Post by Liam »

It isn't mentioned in the PY list for 2019 even in the section with insufficient data: https://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDo ... t_2019.pdf
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Corky the Cat
Warrant Officer (Class One)
Warrant Officer (Class One)

Post by Corky the Cat »

My recollection of the Prindle 15 is that it goes like greased lightning.

But if you have trouble tacking a Sprint in a seaway, try tacking a Prindle. One owner got so exasperated that he quit tacking altogether and gybed instead. Not a very attractive proposition at a closely contested windward mark. He soon gave up and bought a Hurricane.
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jenny Ball »

We did have one at Marconi but years ago and don’t recall that it sailed much. Surprising amount of info out there if you just google Pringle 15 - particularly in Holland. This video might help - although if someone had shown him how to use the traveller he would have stayed upright......
https://youtu.be/3-qAYLSQQhM
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Keith,
There is one actively sailed at Grafham where we rate it at a PY like handicap of 896. The owner, Gerry Reeve, has sailed it for more than 30 years. It is tough to right it singlehanded but he could in his prime, but then again Gerry could right a Sting single handed in his prime so he is (was?) tougher than average. I reckon a fit sailor of 13 or more stone should be able to do it. We used to have 3 actively sailed but Gerry's is the last left. Gerry must be 75ish now and when he retires I suspect that will be it for the Prindle 15 fleet at Grafham.
Your boat cannot be worth much but it might appeal to someone as a project. I would put it on Ebay with a low reserve and be grateful if someone comes and takes it away.
Regards
Bob
Keith Bartlett
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Keith Bartlett »

Hi folks, many thanks for the useful comments that you posted. The Prindle is now listed on Apollo Duck, priced at £480. I have no idea if it will generate any interest. There doesn't appear to be any Prindles for sale in the UK.
I might try taking it out for a sail, over Easter, just to see how it goes ( and whether there are any serious leaks that I should be aware of)

Cheers Keith FREDDIE 1962