The UK Dart 15 Association

Sorry..another question - Shrouds/Rake/Tension....

Dart 15 Chat
Lee600
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Sorry..another question - Shrouds/Rake/Tension....

Post by Lee600 »

I've pretty much finished this boat resurrection - hopefully a launch date once i've got the Dinghy Show out of the way :-)

I noticed that my boat doesn't have shroud adjusters. The forestay is connected via a bottle screw to the bridle and has a furler.
So, after dropping the mast and sorting the rigging - the hounds slidey thing was upside down and forestay attached where shroud should be - i rigged it back up and couldn't get the bottle screw to meet the bridle. No problem, I just put a rope strop in (I'm likely to change to a strop anyway.
So, now I have huge mast rake and no real way to bring the mast more upright - so I'm guessing i'll need some shroud adjuster plates.
All makes sense so far.
That, though, got me thinking: "Well, how much rake and tension do I run on this boat?"
I'll order some shroud plates this week but just wanted to tap the hive mind as to a rake measurement as a starting point and an idea on rig tension.
Do you run them tight? Loose? Medium?

All thoughts welcome ...... and I promise I'll stop bugging you all soon!

From the bushes to the water for under £100 :D
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sorry..another question - Shrouds/Rake/Tension....

Post by Liam »

Good afternoon.

There are the measurements from most of the Shanklin fleet a few years ago here: https://www.shanklinsailingclub.com/con ... ements.php

Basically you are looking to have about 22' 5'' from the top of the mast to the top of the middle of the traveller plus the length of the mast haylard shackle. You then want more than a foot of movement in the bridle wires.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Lee600
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lee600 »

Brilliant.
Thanks for this Liam.

I read the article on boat setup but it didn't really give an idea of numbers etc so this is great, many thanks.

I always loved sailing my previous 15 (1706) and regret letting it go so I'm getting pretty excited about this boat.

Cheers
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Lee,
I'm bemused by your rigging. A bottle screw on the forestay is non standard and shroud adjuster plates are required. A number of cheap stripped down boats (Spark Fun) were sold without shroud adjusters but then they had longer shrouds to compensate. If your boat was a Spark Fun it would not have the hatches (cocktail cabinets). It sounds like you have some of the jib kit, Do you have the jib, and the rest of the gear? If so you need to remove the bottle screw. I suspect it is in place of the reefing drum. Have a look at the manual pictures*.
Regards
Bob

* rigging manual P13
Lee600
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lee600 »

Hi Bob,

Yeah, I have the jib furler kit on the boat. I was going to remove the bottle screw and replace it with a strop once I fit the shroud adjusters - which have now arrived.
I'll see how everything shapes up next weekend hopefully.

As an aside, I was at the dinghy show on Saturday and checked out the Sprint 15 stand to get some ideas - that was a very smart boat that was on display :-)