Thorpe Bay Winter TT - Saturday 2nd February

Dart 15 Chat
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Thorpe Bay Winter TT - Saturday 2nd February

Post by Jenny Ball »

Hi All

Next up is the Winter TT at Thorpe Bay on Saturday 2nd February!

Briefing is at 9am with planned first start at 10am, 3 races back to back.

Thorpe Bay have invited us to make a weekend of it as they have an 80s night social on Saturday night and have club racing at 10am on Sunday (one race) that you would be welcome to join.

If you would like to drop your boat off on Friday night - please let the club know so they can make arrangements to let you in. Contact details are on the NOR: https://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/eve ... n-2019.pdf

There is plenty of accommodation locally - (although some of the independent guest houses close in winter) - but I can recommend the following ones that are very local:

Pebbles Guest House
Wynnstay Studio Apartments (self catering)
Premier Inn Thorpe Bay

Or if you really want to go upmarket, I understand the Roslin Beach Hotel is very nice!

See you there!

Jenny
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thorpe Bay Winter TT - Saturday 2nd February

Post by Liam »

Paul is on his way.
IMG_20190126_112407-2.jpg
IMG_20190126_112407-2.jpg (180.64 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
moreair
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by moreair »

I know people will be arriving early and hungry. Our Chef will be in and serving hot breakfast food from 8 am as registration starts. So don't forget get plenty of protein before hitting the water.

When racing finishes he will be serving his lunch menu, if you have to rush off then I am sure he will arrange a take away.

And I think Jenny has already mentioned but the club is having a 80's night (food and music), so if you are staying around, come and join that event. Talk to the bar in the morning to grab a ticket.

My forecasts are showing ideal wind conditions with no rain until later in the day. The northerly winds usually also means less swell, which is good on our estuary position.

Look forward to seeing you all.

Paul Morgan TBYC Sprint Captain
Paul - Sprint 1954
paulgrattage
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by paulgrattage »

Just wondered what the max wind speed they sail in at Thorpe Bay so I can make an informed decision whether to come on the day?
moreair

Post by moreair »

Paul, this is my opinion and Jenny/Chris who both sail at Thorpe Bay will also hopefully comment.

The forecast at the moment would not stop Sprints going out at Thorpe Bay. The Met Office is 17mph gusting 28mph and Windguru 23mph gusting 29mph. There is only the Sprint 15 Open on Saturday, no club racing. Chris and Jenny won't be stopped by 30mph+.

Another factor would be the swell, which would be significantly more if the wind was from the South and not the forecast North East. The wind is also reduced over the houses to the shoreline where the race will be run from. This does also give the race officer some control by how far off shore he sends the fleet.

With this in mind, it is the Race Officers decision but as it is only Sprint 15's, if you want to go and there is 2 boats, that counts as a race that he will run.

So we look forward to seeing you all tomorrow. Because at the moment there is no reason for you not to come.

Paul Morgan
Paul - Sprint 1954
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jenny Ball »

Hi Paul

Apologies, I was away so missed this message - but I would definitely have concurred! A huge thank you to everyone at Thorpe Bay for hosting the event today.

Jenny
Corky the Cat
Warrant Officer (Class One)
Warrant Officer (Class One)

Post by Corky the Cat »

A lovely balanced and well-written report on the association website. Well done, whoever wrote it. Who was it?
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Jenny wrote the report. I just forgot to mention that on the page.
Corky the Cat wrote:A lovely balanced and well-written report on the association website. Well done, whoever wrote it. Who was it?
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals