The UK Dart 15 Association

Rescued from the bushes

Dart 15 Chat
Lee600
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Rescued from the bushes

Post by Lee600 »

I found an old Spark in the bushes at our club yesterday.
The rigging is all standing, mast is up and moves easily and the rudders, extension and tiller bar are all there. Sails (Jib & Main) are in a dry container and, when I opened the hatches on the hulls, both were bone dry. The tatty cover has obviously done a very good job!
So, all looks good for a 'project' - because the tramp has torn all the way across.
Obviously that needs replacing - and the track looks fine - so as long as I can get a new trampoline I reckon this one is a go-er.

I did have a 15 some years ago, a Graffiti, s/n 1706, but I swapped it for a National 12 ….. and have wanted a 15 again ever since :lol:
This abandoned boat seems to fit the bill to match my DIY skills (ie: Non existent!) and would give me something to use to pootle around with.

How easy is it to get hold of a tramp and, to follow, how easy are they to change? - looks easy to me but then these things often do don't they........

Thanks for letting me join and Happy Christmas.

Lee.
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Rescued from the bushes

Post by George Love »

Hi Lee,
Sounds like a good find. You'll probably need to buy a new tramp - good used ones are hard to find.
Suggest you talk to Windsport. You might also need to replace the tramp tracks but Windsport will advise.
Hope that helps.
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Keith Bartlett
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Keith Bartlett »

Hi Lee, , if you need to replace the tramp tracks I have a pair of old Spark ones available. They are a bit tatty as the previous owner fitted long jib sheet fairleads on top of them, so they have quite a few holes.

I think there is also an original Spark tramp, but I need to dive into the storage pile to see whether it is in one piece.

cheers Keith

PS I am in Chichester, where abouts are you?
Lee600
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lee600 »

Hi Keith,

I'm up in Staffordshire.
The tracks look in good shape by my eye. No obvious bends/twists/cracks or anything.
I'll be taking another (closer) look at the boat on Sunday so, who knows, maybe more will crop up...but I must admit, apart from a tramp and a wash it actually looks to be in good nick.

If you have a tramp I could be interested. I've seen that Steve Sawford has tramps for the original 'Spark' so that seems easier seeing as the track looks fine.
To be honest, if the track needs replacing it wouldn't be cost effective and I'd probably break the boat for spares/parts so I'll take another look again on Sunday (Hoping to collect sails & pick up the rudders etc to bring home).

Out of interest, where would I find details of the boat number? I'm not entirely sure if the sails are the original ones - though haven't noted the number from those anyway.
Keith Bartlett
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Keith Bartlett »

Hi Lee, the boat number question is a tricky one, as the numbers on the inside of the hull, visible thru the rear hatch are in code. Possibly Bob Carter ( who is a regular contributor to the chat pages ) or Brian Phipps at Windsport can decode them . But if the sails are red/yellow they are probably original.
If your hulls are in a watertight state, its definitely worth bringing the boat up to a sailable state. Our Club was given 3 Darts last year, a 15 and 2 18's, but their hulls were a real mess and would have needed complete rebuilds so we scrapped them, and are gradually selling the rest of the bits off.

good luck

cheers Keith
Lee600
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lee600 »

I've been back up to the club to have another look and I'm more sure that it's worth a go.

Literally had to dig away the (thorny) bushes and Triffid weeds - which reached tramp level all the way around.
Trolley wheels were still inflated so was easy to roll out and check over.

All sheets are there. Jib cleats all present and correct (and working) , mainsheet block is fine and working - although the ratchet doesn't seem to engage. Might need a new cleat but I'll hang fire at the moment.
Rudders look good and the mechanism works ok. Spray a bit of WD40 and they'll be slick as new.

So, from what I can see it only needs a new tramp - how lucky is that??
Now, that brings me to my first question: I can see how the tramp slides out but do I have to take a hull off to get it off?
The rear part tensions around that pole part, but the front hooks around the front beam and into a slot on that from what I can see so, I assume, at least one hull will need to come off?

Also, I know there's a difference between 'old' and 'new' trampolines with regards to the bolt rope, but how can I tell what is on this one?
I don't know if its ever had a new tramp so not sure it its had the tracks changed to fit a 'new' style tramp.
Are there any obvious signs that tell me if its an original 'Spark' setup or has had an updated 'new' setup?

Also, I can't see how the traveller line is fitted (all the sheets have been unthreaded) - I'm sure it's easy but I can't see it just yet.

The boat has white hulls with Blue lines and is named 'Sparkie'. There's a sticker on the mast saying 'Shanklin SC 2005' so its come a long way (I'm up in Staffordshire)

If I knew how to post photos I'd put them up so you can see the 'Before' images. Which aren't that bad actually. It's very easy to see past the dirt and picture the boat back up and running both easily and quickly.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that I'm going to give it a go. I won't be racing it (I don't have a trailer for one thing) as I already have two other racing boats (A Lightning368 and an RS600) plus my girlfriends 420 so this one will be a leisure boat to 'just go sailing' with.

Doubtless there'll be more questions but, for now, have a happy New Year and here's to 2019 :D
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Lee,
The trampoline comes off without taking the hulls apart. You undo the line holding it on the rear beam and then slide it forward on the tracks on the hulls. When it all is off the hull tracks you can slide it off the front beam. There is a wide slot in the centre under the mast ball which facilitates this. On the website there is a full assembly manual and parts list with lots of pictures. Look under Manuals.

You are certain to have the old trampoline which had 5mm bolt ropes for the old tracks. The current trampoline has 8mm bolt ropes to fit the Dart 18 section tram tracks. This came in at about sail number 1870. Brian does offer a kit of parts to convert the tramp and the tramp tracks but it costs more than your boat is worth. If the tracks are good (no cracks developing at the front rivets) your best solution is to get an old trampoline. The following are options:
1) twist Keith Bartlett's arm to make him go and look to see what he has got in store.
2) advertise that you want an old tramp in the wanted section of this web site. Sometimes owners have to upgrade their tramp because of track failure. If the old tramp is OK they may sell to you.
3) As Steve Sawford if he has one he will sell you.
4) Brian can get one made up specially for you. He does not hold them in stock so you will have to wait some weeks.
5) If you buy a second hand tramp which has 8mm bolt ropes a sailmaker can convert it to 5mm bolt ropes at a reasonable cost.

I hope this helps.
Another thought. take all the ropes off the boat and wash them in the automatic washing machine. It is amazing how much this softens up stiff sheets and the like.
Cheers
Bob
Lee600
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lee600 »

Hi Bob,

That's a massive help, many thanks for the info. I'm 99.9% sure it's the 'original' setup - but I'll take a ruler down to the club tomorrow to measure the excess boltrope, great to know the rope size though so thanks.
I didn't see any obvious cracks in the tracks but I'll take another look before I dive in for a new tramp.

Good to know I don't have to take the boat apart either! :D

Washing machine is a good idea too - I do this with any new sheets & lines that I buy anyway, so I'll do the same with these ropes on this one as well. I guess they'll look lovely and clean.

I'll head to the manuals for anything I'm stuck with but will, doubtless, be back....

Oh, inside the hull I can see a number: 251261(might be 4?) in black, but also a more faded 443 in blue? - not sure if that's of any use?

Cheers for the advice though and I'll see if I can get some 'before' and 'after' photos sorted.

Lee.
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Lee
We do not have full details on Hull numbers. Why not unroll the mainsail and read off the sail number?
Measuring the bolt rope of the tramp might be tricky but the new tramp tracks look very different to the old ones.
The old ones have a smooth flat top surface. The new ones have a deep slot in the top surdace for the jib fairleads. You can see picture of the new ones if you look at the article Martin Searle wrote on replacing them. Look at it in the Tips section of this website. If yours are smooth tops with no jib fairlead slider you need a 5mm bolt rope tramp.
Regards
Bob
Keith Bartlett
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Keith Bartlett »

Hi Lee, I've found the old tramp. Its definitely an old Spark one. Its in one piece, but needs a repair on the diagonal webbing, which a sailmaker can do in 5 mins.
If you can text me on 07837 604699 I'll send you some pictures. I dont want any money for it, just for Postage , which is about £5-6 .
Cheers. Keith
Lee600
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lee600 »

Found the sails :D
Apart from a bit of a mouse nibble at the back of the main they're in good nick.
Green/Pink/White/Blue so are replacement sails.
I can make out the outline of a 12** number where the previous numbers have been peeled off.
'Proper' boat number is on the sail: 443 , so yeah, an early one alright.

Keith, that's a great offer so I've just texted you, thanks!

The manuals are definitely full of great info so I'll be downloading those to stop my annoying questions :lol:

Thanks again everyone.... looks like a Vintage boat is about to be saved from the scrapyard! :)

*Bob: Useful info about the tramp track. Yep, mine are 'Flat' so that's that sorted then! :D ... Cheers.
Lee600
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lee600 »

Just a quick update.

Keith sorted me a suitable replacement tramp that just needed a small repair.
That has now been completed - for the grand total of £35 (Many thanks to Chris at Creation Covers in Perry Barr, Birmingham).
I'm hoping to fit the tramp next weekend - though I'm On Call for work so no actual sailing.
Fingers crossed and I'll have 'Sparkle' back on the water in about 2 weeks :-)

I bought a new Tramp line, a Halyard lock ring and a roll of sail repair tape. This plus the cost of the tramp and the repair has seen a grand total of around £70 so far. Given that I got the boat for free I'd say that's a pretty good deal so far huh?

After getting it onto the water and just making sure all is shipshape, It'll be a trapeze kit that I'll be sorting next.
On my RS600 I made trap lines up from 2mm Dyneema, all nicely spliced and looking great, so I'll go that direction again I reckon.
Any ideas on the length of these to give me a starting point?

Again, massive massive help to all on here that have assisted with ideas so far.

Cheers
Lee.
Lee600
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Lee600 »

Well, today finally saw the launch of this project boat.
Sailed for about 3Hrs in around 6 or 7mph of breeze. Not a hint of water in the hulls, nothing broke, everything worked as it should and a bit of (Slow) fun was had.

All in, including the boat itself (Which was actually free) I spent a total of £130 to get it from out of a 6 year hibernation in Hull-Height bushes and onto the water today.

I'm pretty pleased to be honest, so thanks to all here that helped with my questions etc.

Massive thanks to Keith for the Trampoline which helped me come in well under my initial budget.

Cheers all :D
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jenny Ball »

Hi Lee

That's great news and you picked a great day for your maiden voyage! Fancy coming to Marconi on 6th and 7th April?!

Jenny