National Championships 2019 - dates for your diary

Dart 15 Chat
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Championships 2019 - dates for your diary

Post by Jenny Ball »

Hi All

We are pleased to advise that Harwich Town SC - (in the very capable hands of Andy Webb) - will be hosting our 2019 National Championships. Planned dates as follows:

Friday 16th August to Sunday 18th August 2019 inclusive - with a familiarisation session planned for Thursday 15th.

Situated on the East Coast in north East Essex - Harwich Town have excellent sailing waters in Dovercourt Bay, award winning beaches, a lovely historic old town and more lighthouses than you could wish for. The club regularly host discerning fleets including the Hurricanes and the Finns and are able to provide onsite camping / parking / boat storage on a green adjacent to the club and the beach. There are also lots of places to stay nearby. So its a great venue for sailors and their families.

If you would like to take a closer look - please see the attached short drone footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIsw3fN8GGc

Put it in your diaries!

Jenny and Chris
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: National Championships 2019 - dates for your diary

Post by Mark Aldridge »

Thanks for the info Jenny & Chris.

Looking ahead to 2020 and beyond, I've had a few chats with folk that would like to go back to Pentewan (me included) so on behalf of several Sprint 15 sailors can you look into this as an option please?

Back in the day we used to have a vote for the Nationals which in my experience has been a welcome protocol.

Sport Nationals have always been more limited in options, so keeping this between Instow and IOW as preferred choices gets my vote.

Many Thanks

Mark
Mark Aldridge
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Democracy lead to us going to Netley instead of Weymouth. I would stick with what Jenny and Chris want to do.
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Jenny Ball
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jenny Ball »

There was a discussion (albeit brief) at the AGM this year about Nationals venues - in time honoured tradition.

Harwich was already lined up for next year - they approached us after the Thorpe Bay nationals last year. Chris and I went to visit the club, view the sailing area, understand accommodation, boat park and car park options and both formed the view* that it will be a great fit for our fleet.

(* and Chris and I do not agree on many things)

Also in time honoured tradition - the feedback from the AGM will be taken into account but also needs to be balanced with other factors - such as trying to move the venue around a bit, finding places that provide great sailing, great facilities and affordable accommodation and ultimately finding venues that are willing to host a fleet of our size at dates that suit us.

Pentewan is a beautiful location and they ran good sailing for us and were the friendliest hosts imaginable. Could I just share some counter considerations too? It is a very long way for lots of people to get to. It takes four people to get one boat up the beach. For a camping space at Pentewan Sands without electric hook up (and they will only let you book for a minimum of 7 days in the school holidays) - it would set you back over £250 in August 2018. It was over £1000 for a caravan when we were last there in 2013. And there was ivy growing inside the walls in the changing rooms. And the drains got blocked with sand last time - so the ladies at least had to walk across to the pub to go to the loo during the Class Association dinner. So I am absolutely up for considering Pentewan for 2020 - but it has pros and cons - just like every other venue.
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

Jenny.

I completely understand and if it's deemed Pentewan is not viable that's fine, however a lot of us have great memories of Pentewan especially when it's also a family holiday and to have it as an option I think would be great.

We've booked our accommodation for Harwich are very much look forward to what I'm sure will be an excellent event.

You've an unenviable task of pleasing all the people all the time and of course the hosting club needs the facilities and to be available - you know what works for our boat and trolley dollies/support crews/hangers on etc

..if I could just request a bit more wind for Harwich please... another 20 knots would be ideal!!!
Mark Aldridge
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

Looking forward to Harwich next year.
Like Mark, I'd be happy to go back to Pentewan any time if it's being considered. :)
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Why not start to build the 2019 events page on the website? It might not be complete but it would be good to populate it with what we know.
Regards
Bob
PS Happy New Year
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Bob Carter wrote:Why not start to build the 2019 events page on the website? It might not be complete but it would be good to populate it with what we know.
Regards
Bob
PS Happy New Year
It's all on the front page but the details are also here: https://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/pro ... ies=Summer

Happy New Year. :D
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
simon
Captain
Captain

Post by simon »

Liam
Would it be possible to add the Carnac dates please?
Registraition: May 1st in the evening 2019
Racing: May 2nd - 4th 2019

Thanks
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

Done
simon wrote:Liam
Would it be possible to add the Carnac dates please?
Registraition: May 1st in the evening 2019
Racing: May 2nd - 4th 2019

Thanks
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Liam wrote:
Bob Carter wrote:Why not start to build the 2019 events page on the website? It might not be complete but it would be good to populate it with what we know.
Regards
Bob
PS Happy New Year
It's all on the front page but the details are also here: https://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/pro ... ies=Summer

Happy New Year. :D
Good work. Any idea why the Grafham Cat Open is not listed? It is on 19/20 October and I think it is the Inland Championships. It would be a good time to identify the Northern and Southern Championships while we think about it. I still have your Southern Championship pot but if you come to the Icicle at Grafham on 17 March you are certain of getting a reward. :wink:
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Liam »

You are expecting me to use my initiative.
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield